A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
Ppe

Early Resolution Meeting Refused

by: Ppe on

I requested an early resolution meeting for my speeding ticket (129km in 100km) but have just received a letter saying that "the original certificate of offence was filed late by the police officer, therefore my early resolution request cannot be accepted". It continues on to say that the police officer may re-serve the offence notice at a later date. They returned the green offence notice and also a copy of the certificate of offence with this letter. I am uncertain as to what this means. Can anyone help?

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

It looks like the police officer did not file your ticket with the court within the required 7 days, the police must file all tickets with the court no more then 7 days after they are issued. This means that the ticket you have now is void and you don't have to do anything more with it. However, the officer can refile the charges and issue you with a summons requiring you to appear in court any time within 6 months from the date of the offence. So for now you don't have to do anything unless you are served with a summons. If you don't hear from them within 6 months then you will be off the hook.

Post a Reply