fsk

Want To Take The Lesser Plea After Setting A Court Date

by: fsk on

Hello, I am very much new to this forum but I need some quick advice. First, I will preface by saying that I have been negligent in not acting a lot sooner:

I had an initial court date back in September 2015 for Driving while under Suspension (along with Driving w/o proper headlights, which is the reason why I was stopped in the 1st place). The prosecutor gave me the option to the lesser charge of Driving without license but I decided not to take the plea and asked for a trial. The main reason for that was I didn't want my insurance premium to go up which came up for renewal in February 2016. Now that the trial date is coming up in March 2016, I was wondering if there's a way for me to take that lesser charge rather than actually go to trial in a courtroom. This is what I realize that I should have looked into this matter a lot earlier but I did want to wait until after my insurance premium renewed in February 2016.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanking everyone in advance,

fsk

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

That's a pretty big gamble you've taken. Depending on the jurisdiction and number of cases that day, they may still offer you a plea deal. I'd suggest contacting the Crown's office and advising them you've reconsidered and would like to take the plea ASAP. Hopefully they will still honor it and simply let you plead to the reduced charge on the day of your trial.

Post a Reply