mcmasterse

Receive Notice Of License Suspension At The Crc

by: mcmasterse on

I am a bit confused as to what I need to worry about here!

Had an at-fault accident yesterday late in the evening.

Was too shaken up so just towed the car to garage and headed to a doctor.

This morning, registered a claim with insurance.

Then had the car on a tow, brought to the collision reporting centre.

They assessed a 7K damage and were working through the report.

Ran my drivers license and said, your license is suspended just now (as of today) for an unpaid fine in the past.

Gave me a notice of suspension right there, dated for today and confiscated my license.

My fault, forgot about the fine completely.

Had to run around but paid off the fine today but have to wait upto 4 days for city of Toronto to inform the province before which, my license cannot be re-instated.

Now, I am quite worried.

1. Will my claim with insurance be adversely affected by this?

By all indications (including MTO office), the suspension was issued today.

The accident was yesterday when I was driving the car and was NOT suspended (and ofcourse had no clue that it was about to be suspended)

2. What are my obligations with regards to my insurance claim? If the claims adjustor asks me if my license was suspended, I guess I have to answer yes. How will the subsequent answers go from there?

3. How do I find out if this is going to affect my future insurance rates?

Most insurance companies seem to be rather wary of suspended drivers licenses.. I agree it was my fault but it was truly a lapse in memory. How badly is this memory blip going to affect me?

Any answers or links to material on this topic based on your knowledge and/or experience would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Mac

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

When the accident occured your license was NOT suspended, so you can tell him that no my license was not suspended when the accident occured.

Some insurance may not let a suspension due to unpaid fines affect your rates since it was not a driving related offence. You will need to ask insurance company.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
hawaii

by: hawaii on

mcmasterse wrote:I am a bit confused as to what I need to worry about here!

Had an at-fault accident yesterday late in the evening.

Was too shaken up so just towed the car to garage and headed to a doctor.

This morning, registered a claim with insurance.

Then had the car on a tow, brought to the collision reporting centre.

They assessed a 7K damage and were working through the report.

Ran my drivers license and said, your license is suspended just now (as of today) for an unpaid fine in the past.

Gave me a notice of suspension right there, dated for today and confiscated my license.

My fault, forgot about the fine completely.

Had to run around but paid off the fine today but have to wait upto 4 days for city of Toronto to inform the province before which, my license cannot be re-instated.

Now, I am quite worried.

1. Will my claim with insurance be adversely affected by this?

By all indications (including MTO office), the suspension was issued today.

The accident was yesterday when I was driving the car and was NOT suspended (and ofcourse had no clue that it was about to be suspended)

2. What are my obligations with regards to my insurance claim? If the claims adjustor asks me if my license was suspended, I guess I have to answer yes. How will the subsequent answers go from there?

3. How do I find out if this is going to affect my future insurance rates?

Most insurance companies seem to be rather wary of suspended drivers licenses.. I agree it was my fault but it was truly a lapse in memory. How badly is this memory blip going to affect me?

Any answers or links to material on this topic based on your knowledge and/or experience would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Mac

I say make no mention of it. You are dealing with pond scum. They will look for any which way to hang you. Besides, you werent suspended at the time. Again, say as little as possible when interacting with this type of organized crime.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

You need to know the effective date of the suspension and not the issue date at the report in centre, unless you know for sure it is one and the same date.

Most if not all insurance companies always ask if you have fines and/or have been suspended, and other questions, any incorrect answer can have your insurance voided. Just a heads up

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply