Iamsoashamed

Impaired Operation On A G2, Both 253(1)(a) And 253(1)(b)

by: Iamsoashamed on

I was detained 2 nights ago and taken into the station, charged for both 253(1)(a) and (b). I consented to an intoxilyzer, and blew 0.2. I had a G2 license, and there is zero tolerance for blood alcohol. It is my first offense.

I've done something really, really awful. I'm very grateful that the police did take me off the road, and that the entire process went smoothly. What I was doing was exceptionally dangerous, and I'm really embarrassed that I could have been so stupid. I completely agree with all the drunk driving laws, and I made a TERRIBLE decision, irreversible decision. I deserve all the consequences and then more.

I know from reading this forum that obviously the first advice is to get a lawyer, pronto. I'm really confused about the possible consequences, and calling around to various lawyers today only solidified that confusion. Can anyone help me understand what will happen? Besides feeling like an absolute moron (although you're free to join me in the disgust with my actions).

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Iamsoashamed wrote: I'm really confused about the possible consequences, and calling around to various lawyers today only solidified that confusion. Can anyone help me understand what will happen?

You're a novice driver and are subject to Novice Driving Escalating Sanctions. Any violation of driving restrictions (eg. BAC over 0) means an automatic 30 day suspension upon conviction. Any other violations of your restrictions or conviction of a charge carrying 4 or more demerit points will see your license suspended for 90 days. Third offense and your license will be cancelled.

So far, you're looking at a 30 day suspension. I believe the fine is up to $500, but your insurance is probably going to be the biggest issue.

Iamsoashamed

by: Iamsoashamed on

bend wrote:
Iamsoashamed wrote: I'm really confused about the possible consequences, and calling around to various lawyers today only solidified that confusion. Can anyone help me understand what will happen?

You're a novice driver and are subject to Novice Driving Escalating Sanctions. Any violation of driving restrictions (eg. BAC over 0) means an automatic 30 day suspension upon conviction. Any other violations of your restrictions or conviction of a charge carrying 4 or more demerit points will see your license suspended for 90 days. Third offense and your license will be cancelled.

So far, you're looking at a 30 day suspension. I believe the fine is up to $500, but your insurance is probably going to be the biggest issue.

Thank you for replying to me. I think it's longer than that? I have a 90 day roadside suspension already and 2/3 of the lawyers I called suggested 30 days jail time might be unavoidable. The two charges are criminal ones, and I deserve them for something so irresponsible. Judging from your answer, I think that also means my license would be cancelled (rightfully so).

I am so revolted with my actions. Thank you for being so quick to get back to me, I really appreciate it. My brain is completely scrambled with self-hating I can't think straight.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

This was my mistake. I read this as 0.02, BAC above 0, and a G2 driver.

I didn't realize it was 0.2 and you were charged criminally.

I believe for a first offense it's an immediate 90 day suspension from the MTO, $1000-$5000 fine, minimum one year driving prohibition (maximum 3 years), interlock program at your expense, possible jail time (up to 18 months).

There's tons of other ways you'll be affected. Your current insurance policy will almost certainly be cancelled. You'll have a criminal conviction. Entering other countries will be an issue, applying for jobs with background check, etc.

Other than that, you're not going to find much more help here for a criminal offense. Anyone here is going to tell you to find a professional.

Post a Reply

Return to “Criminal Offences”