Question On Drivers License Reinstatement / Fine Extension

chrisj

Question On Drivers License Reinstatement / Fine Extension

Unread post by chrisj »

Hi everyone:

I got a fine for driving w/o insurance when I was 17 (10 years ago) and a couple other tickets (again, from when I was 17 with a G2). I am now 27-years old.

I spoke to the lady at the local fine office here in Ottawa about reinstating my license and finally paying the fines. She told me that I could bring in $1500 as a downpayment and then pay something like $150-200 a month and have my license LIKELY reinstated (though apparently I will have to redo my G2 test?)

She also told me that it is up to a Justice of Peace to approve my request for a fine extension - though she said this is likely - I believe it's not guaranteed.

Does anyone know what the probability of the JP approving my application? I now need my license to start a new job and w/o it I will NEVER be able to pay the $8000 or so fine.

ANy help would be much appreciated.

GrammaD

Unread post by GrammaD »

I have seen plenty of people get a payment schedule for fines and proceed with licensing, so good chance there, but...an invalid G2 means you are starting all of your testing over again and if it has been invalid for more than 3 years you are waiting a year between each test...once your fines are in order you will have a $150. 00 reinstatement fee payable to Service Ontario, then $125.00 plus your identification at DriveTest to commence testing process...Good Luck!!

viper1

Unread post by viper1 »

If you go into the office with $1,500.00 and a plan to pay off the rest in a timely fashion,

you will most likely get time to pay.

If the JP agrees to your plan your charges go back to when you were charged with them.

Under the terms you asked for. (JP can alter of course)

The main thing is to have a plan to pay and most importantly do whatever you agree too.

Now:

Would you now be liable to the law at the time?/maybe/

If so no re-reinstatement fee.

If you are accountable to the new laws you would have to pay the $150.

From there just follow the rules you asked for.

Cheers

Stripe

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
chrisj

Unread post by chrisj »

Thanks, I did make the payment and do the paperwork recently.

Waiting to hear back, should be early next week.