zigzagmazda

My Day At Court Yest. Cops Never Submited My Tickets. Help?

by: zigzagmazda on

Hi All - Just need someones advise. I had my summons yesterday. Last month I got 3 tickets, 1) No insurance. 2) No valid sticker on my plate. 3) fail to surrender permits.

I showed up at the court, turns out they don't have my documents. The prosecutor told me that the 'officer didn't submit my tickets, and he has 6 months to contact you, if he don't your charges drops" and he also kept saying that if he hasn't submitted today chances are he wont. When my name was called, the clerk told the judge about my charges and that the officer didn't submit the tickets. The clerk stamped my ticket and wrote that I appeared.

My questions are:

1) how much time I really have?

2) what are the chances that he will come back to me and I'll be called again in the court.

3) does that really mean that I never got those tickets?

4) would all my 3 of my tickets will be cancelled?

I have learned my lesson and now driving with valid documents, and would suggest everyone do obey the law, its just not worth it to go through the headaches.

Pls. if someone can give me advise I'd really appreciate it.

Thks and be safe on the roads.

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

The limitation period for HTA offences is 6 months form the time of the offence. The limitation period for insurance offences under the CAIA is 2 years. During that time you can still be served a summons to appear in court on the charges. It's difficult to say whether you are likely to get them in the future, because there could be any number of explanations as to why there's a delay. If you don't get the tickets within the limitation period, you can consider the matter "dropped".

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Post a Reply