yhu221300

Operate Moter Vehicle Without Insurance And Invalid Plate

by: yhu221300 on

Hi buddies,

This morning, I was stopped by a police because my car has an expired Quebec plate.

actually I have new Ontario plate in my car, but I did not install it to replace the expired Quebec plate.

The policeman asked to see my insurance card. When I was trying to find my insurance card, the policeman said to me that he went back his police car and wait for me.

After about 20 minutes, I found my insurance card, and went to the police car to show him my new Ontario plate and my insurance card.

The policeman return me my materials, and told me to install my new Ontario plate ASSP.

A few hours later, I found two yellow forms (Form 104 - Summons to Defendant) : one saying that "Drive motor vehicle without insurance", another saying "operate vehicle with unauthorized plate".

each form has one one page. In my opinion, form usually has at least two pages.

So the policeman has finished these forms when I was trying to find my proofs.

My question is: are those forms are valid or not? do I have to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice on the given date shown on the forms?

Thanks a lot,

Young

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

yhu221300 wrote:My question is: are those forms are valid or not? do I have to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice on the given date shown on the forms?

Reading the back of the form will tell you the answer.

Failing to attend court on date shown on the summons could result in an Arrest Warrant being issued.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
yhu221300

What confused me is:

I had shown him valid insurance card and valid new Ontario plate to him (although I spent over 20 minutes to find all of them), but he completed those forms when I was searching for card and plate.

Is it reasonable for him to assume that I did not have valid insurance and plate just because he waited for a while?

THanks,

yhu221300

If I have no insurance or valid plate, the police should tow my car away, right?

I believe I will easily win the court.

If somebody has experienced a similar story, could you please tell me how I should do before I go to the court, for example, what should I prepare for the court, what I should say and what I should not say.

Thanks a lot.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

If the ON plate was registered by the MTO to be on the vehicle and the QC plate was on the vehicle = Using a plate (QC) not authorized for vehicle.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca