Areeb

Careless Driving, Need Desperate Help!

by: Areeb on

Last year at the beginning of March I had a minor accident but the officer decided to give me a careless driving charge.

I was taking a left out of a plaza (near Dundas/Hurontario, a busy intersection) at the time were there was a lot of traffic. Cars over two lanes eastbound stopped before the plaza entrance when the signal light was red for them, and gave me a hand gesture to go. I slowly pulled my car, and began taking a left when a car on the third 'track' ( which was a yellow line/left turn lane) hit me.

On the accident report, my speed was 10km/h and the car's was 30km/h. No injuries, no airbags, just a front bumper damage for both.

I repaired my own bumper, and my insurance somehow repaired the girl's bumper. It was minor so my insurance did not even increase.

However, I got a careless driving charge with 6 demerit point, and a fine of $490.

At that time, I just got my G2 licence and my dads car, I was 20. It is 13 months now, and my court date is very near.

I got my court date at November 23, 2010 (after 7 months of the accident) and the Judge forwarded my case cause she had 'too many walk-in cases on hand to deal with'

My paralegal filled the charter application for 'unreasonable delay'

It is all good?

I mean, I have been driving ever since, put snow tires, and my record is trouble free. I have never been pulled by a cop too!

so why punish me with 6 points when I have been driving perfect for 13 months?

Also, are Judges reasonable? I am into Civil Engineering, I graduate next year, as this year it is my internship year. I need a car NOT just to commute, but also to use with my Job. ( Like visiting construction site etc etc)

6 points wont just skyrocket my insurance, but would prevent me from getting any internship and jobs when I graduate next year.

So what happens now? Any advice was be just very helpful.

viper1

by: viper1 on

I see at least 1 of these things a week.

The usual way is when a large car/truck does it.(you cannot see around it)

iF YOUR PARA LEGAL is legit you will be good.

Why do you take that chance?

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Areeb wrote:so why punish me with 6 points when I have been driving perfect for 13 months?

That's not how the system works. Even if your driving record has been spotless, they don't care. They look at each offence and decide if the evidence is sufficient to warrant a conviction. If the conviction occurs, demerit points are automatic.

Areeb wrote:Also, are Judges reasonable? I am into Civil Engineering, I graduate next year, as this year it is my internship year. I need a car NOT just to commute, but also to use with my Job. ( Like visiting construction site etc etc) 6 points wont just skyrocket my insurance, but would prevent me from getting any internship and jobs when I graduate next year.

Doesn't matter. Civil Engineering students do not have any special exemption that would result in the Justice of the Peace deciding not to convict because it would impact their livelihood. For that matter, neither do Doctors, Lawyers, Pilots, Paramedics, Firefighters, Bankers, Couriers, Clerks, Computer Programmers or anyone else. It's all based on evidence in court. That's it.

The good news is, your paralegal should be able to get this charge thrown out.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Post a Reply