Emily

Careless Driving After 2 Accident

by: Emily on

I was driving and this guy stopped suddenly in front of me (apparently he thought he saw an animal on the road). I slammed on the brakes but unfortunately my foot slipped off the pedal and I rear ended the car at about 25kmph. Significant damage but both cars were drivable. Police got called and they said I was at fault and asked me what happened.

They then asked me if I was driving barefoot and I said no. They said I should have been in control of the pedals and that my footwear looked inappropriate and they'd give me a careless driving fine.

I had mentioned that my foot had slipped because I pushed the pedal at an angle and the heel part of my shoe only made contact and slipped while I normally press the pedals with the front of the show.

They had me demonstrate using the pedals without looking at my feet. I wanted to demonstrate pressing it with the back of the shoe because of what I had said earlier but slipped again. Then I did it normally and succeeded fine.

Can I contest this or have it reduced to following too closely, the other driver admits stopping suddenly and I normally use the front of my shoe to push the pedals. One cop actually took photos of my shoes and perhaps a video of me pushing pedals? I would have still hit the car if my foot didn't slip but slower. My foot slipped because I felt this electric shock kind of feeling and pushed at an awkward angle, not because of my footwear.

I got a second careless driving charge

At a junction, I was looking at traffic to enter a lane, since it wasn't too visible I took the car a bit forward after the line. A police car without lights came speeding (he was really reckless, I'm not making this up) on the lane. I wanted to slam on the brakes but I hit the gas pedal instead and hit the door of the cop car.

I got charged for careless driving for this as well.

I just got my full license and have a clean record before this. Anything I can do? I have rear ended cars 2 times before long ago and scraped a car once and never got a ticket for that. My friends had some accidents with no ticket as well and I've been rear ended once and don't think the guy got a ticket.

For the first accident I was wearing 5 inch heels a bit like these, they are high but I can drive in them comfortably. I've been in an accident with the same shoe and cops never said anything about it and other accidents in similar shoes without problems. One cop for the first accident seemed very sexist to me and made some remarks.

Emily

Also for accident 1 after they made me demonstrate pressing pedals, they told me to show them using the stiletto part to push the pedal and I think they filmed or took photos of this. While doing it with the stiletto part only (which is not how I drive), it slipped or I couldn't press fully for around 50% of the tries.

So essentially during the first tries since they saw its hard with the back heel of the shoe as it slipped they made me repeat using only the back.

Emily

What arguments should I use for defence? For the first I was thinking of trying to reduce to following to closely and explaining that the car had just overtaken me and stopped (he said he thought he saw an animal but there wasn't one). Also saying that footwear was not an issue.

For the second I'm not sure what to say as it wasn't a rear end collision.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

Ummm. Exactly how many accidents have you been in. From your post I see at least four. Plus a couple of in due care in Europe and a back g on a highway.

And you claim to be a good driver. Your actually a very poor driver. Your record you posted shows that.

Perhaps it not the shoes but your driving abilities. The shoes just exacerbate the poor skills.

Ops

Emily

OPS Copper wrote:Ummm. Exactly how many accidents have you been in. From your post I see at least four. Plus a couple of in due care in Europe and a back g on a highway.

And you claim to be a good driver. Your actually a very poor driver. Your record you posted shows that.

Perhaps it not the shoes but your driving abilities. The shoes just exacerbate the poor skills.

Ops

5 my fault. 3 not my fault.

Only 2 my fault in the past 3 years

Asked about dealing with tickets not driver ed lectures. Passed my test 1st time in Europe, and in Alberta

highwaystar

Posting Awards

by: highwaystar on

Emily, I wouldn't worry too much about your situation---just be honest and tell them exactly what you've shared on this site. Show up with your shoes on so that they can see for themselves and tell them about your driving history and of course your driver's training. I'm sure everyone will immediately agree that you should be given another chance at driving since you really ARE a good driver----just unlucky in getting charged with so many charges. Make sure you tell them that the highly-trained officer you hit was the one who caused the accident as well. They like to know this so that so they can make sure they force police services to re-train their officers on how to properly drive around good drivers like you.

Of course, also be sure to tell them that you are a university student, have only had 2 at-fault accidents in the past 3 years, and didn't really back up on the highway but rather on the shoulder----that will make a HUGE difference to them. They will immediately see you in a different light.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. The first thing that comes to everyone's mind when they hear your story is 'give that girl another chance; she's a good driver, just unlucky.'

Emily

highwaystar wrote:Emily, I wouldn't worry too much about your situation---just be honest and tell them exactly what you've shared on this site. Show up with your shoes on so that they can see for themselves and tell them about your driving history and of course your driver's training. I'm sure everyone will immediately agree that you should be given another chance at driving since you really ARE a good driver----just unlucky in getting charged with so many charges. Make sure you tell them that the highly-trained officer you hit was the one who caused the accident as well. They like to know this so that so they can make sure they force police services to re-train their officers on how to properly drive around good drivers like you.

Of course, also be sure to tell them that you are a university student, have only had 2 at-fault accidents in the past 3 years, and didn't really back up on the highway but rather on the shoulder----that will make a HUGE difference to them. They will immediately see you in a different light.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. The first thing that comes to everyone's mind when they hear your story is 'give that girl another chance; she's a good driver, just unlucky.'

Its not funny you know. I requested a trial and I can wear whatever shoes I want to trial it should not make a differnece and who knows I might really do that. However it is something to worry about.

OPS Copper wrote:because you passed your test does not make you a good driver. It is just the beginning.

ops

I passed ages ago first time in 2 countries and would pass again if I took a test and I took driving tests in similar shoes. I know I've been more careful with someone watching and wouldn't back on a highway for a test though. I've stopped doing that now.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

Emily, you're wrong---it IS funny! Its funny to see you have an excuse for everything. You poor thing!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during your interview and court cases just to see the reaction of the MTO staff and the Prosecutor and JP.

While you may have passed your tests in the past and think you're a good driver, I highly doubt many will agree that you should be able to continue driving now. Something has clearly made you a danger to others on the road---you've shown a complete disregard for the safety of others. I therefore suspect that if you don't buy a bus pass to get you around soon, those shoes of yours will be getting A LOT more use in the near future! :lol:

Emily

highwaystar wrote:Emily, you're wrong---it IS funny! Its funny to see you have an excuse for everything. You poor thing!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during your interview and court cases just to see the reaction of the MTO staff and the Prosecutor and JP.

While you may have passed your tests in the past and think you're a good driver, I highly doubt many will agree that you should be able to continue driving now. Something has clearly made you a danger to others on the road---you've shown a complete disregard for the safety of others. I therefore suspect that if you don't buy a bus pass to get you around soon, those shoes of yours will be getting A LOT more use in the near future! :lol:

I never said I'm an excellent driver. Also the shoes in the picture aren't what I was wearing, I said they were similar. I have been careless sometimes when in a hurry , risking stuff thinking nothing bad will happen etc. Hell, I even applies lipstick while driving in the past before I realised it was a stupid idea.

That does not mean I don't have the ability to drive properly. I passed my test and my driver's ed was perfect and instructors were highly satisfied. Agreed when driving with an instructor, I'd always be careful as I know I'm being observed.

If you must know, I had some wounds on a leg which caused me to slip. I don't drive in any shoes, some things are really slippery and I don't drive in those. I only drive in a shoe if I'm sure I can press the pedals properly.

I asked for advice not to be lectured, I already know I was wrong.

I have driven a lot since 14. From 14 - 20 I never had any accidents and used to be very careful. Recently I did some careless things and some shortcuts. Doesn't mean I can't stop doing that and I have.

highwaystar

Posting Awards

I'm not lecturing you, I'm laughing at your story! I'd only lecture you if I actually thought it could help.

Now you share with us that you use to apply lipstick while driving, can apparently drive properly but require an instructor to be by your side, and oh yeah, have been driving while under the legal age of 16! Are you really this foolish? Have you counted how many distractions and infractions you have claimed to have committed already? And, somehow you excuse it as either being unlucky (because others also do it!), its someone else's fault, or your fault (but due to some cause or event---that while completely within your control to prevent----somehow occurred!).

It seems like you're incapable of accepting reality-----you have a bad driving record that can't be fully explained or excused. Most people either have a clean driving record or a few minor infractions, but thank goodness that only a very small few have had multiple careless driving and backing on a highway charges. Your driving history speaks for itself!

The ONLY advice anyone should be giving you is to retain a lawyer/paralegal to represent you (if you even have a fighting chance!). After all, you seem to be your worst enemy----let someone else 'filter' you because you seem incapable of accepting reality and only dig yourself deeper each time you share more information. :roll:

Emily

highwaystar wrote:I'm not lecturing you, I'm laughing at your story! I'd only lecture you if I actually thought it could help.

Now you share with us that you use to apply lipstick while driving, can apparently drive properly but require an instructor to be by your side, and oh yeah, have been driving while under the legal age of 16! Are you really this foolish? Have you counted how many distractions and infractions you have claimed to have committed already? And, somehow you excuse it as either being unlucky (because others also do it!), its someone else's fault, or your fault (but due to some cause or event---that while completely within your control to prevent----somehow occurred!).

It seems like you're incapable of accepting reality-----you have a bad driving record that can't be fully explained or excused. Most people either have a clean driving record or a few minor infractions, but thank goodness that only a very small few have had multiple careless driving and backing on a highway charges. Your driving history speaks for itself!

The ONLY advice anyone should be giving you is to retain a lawyer/paralegal to represent you (if you even have a fighting chance!). After all, you seem to be your worst enemy----let someone else 'filter' you because you seem incapable of accepting reality and only dig yourself deeper each time you share more information. :roll:

I accept that I was carless for these incidents. I never said I'm unlucky and I know that I was wrong. How can't I be wrong for rear ending a vehicle? I just wanted to reduce the points as I don't think I'm deserving of so many (and even if I am I'd like to try). I'm not stupid and don't have the resouces for expensive lawyers but I think I can handle it.

All these charges are within the last 2 weeks. I have been carless lately but I've stopped that now.

Emily

highwaystar wrote:I'm glad you claim you've changed now. However, that doesn't mean you won't be penalized for what you have already done. Look up the concept of 'Deterrence' to better understand why.

Good luck with your cases. Not much else can be said.

Seriously, in terms of manoeuvring the car etc, I don't have any issues at all and I know what is supposed to be done and all the rules. Which is why I am confident I can pass any test at first try. I passed in the UK as well and there many people don't manage it the first time.

Whenever I break a rule or something I know that its wrong. I've actually had a very good record as a teen and passengers always found my driving great. More recently I've been willing to risk stuff and it hasn't gone well.

Also I was not driving under age. I lived in Alberta where it is legal to drive at age 14.

Post a Reply