JBoston

Service Plate Use

by: JBoston on

A simple question that I can not seem to get a clear answer at the MTO website or other forums.

Is it legal to move a purchased commercial trailer with an expired annual inspection(safety) using a Service Plate?

(Considering there are no major defects).

Nanuk

by: Nanuk on

A Service Plate may be used:

on a trailer or motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-assisted bicycle for purposes related to the repair, road testing, customization or modification of the vehicle, if the vehicle is in the possession of the person to whom the service plate is issued, or

for the purpose of transporting the vehicle by a person engaged in the business of transporting vehicles, or

for purposes related to the manufacturing or sale of a trailer, or

for the purpose of towing the vehicle by a person engaged in the business of transporting vehicles, or

to tow a vehicle to a location where its load will be removed or to an impound facility.

JBoston

by: JBoston on

Thank you Nanuk for posting the law for me. I have read that along with the appropriate section in the Highway Traffic Act. I haven't found a clear answer to my question.

So that said what I'm asking is "does the service plate permit me to operate commercial equipment with an expired annual inspection"? OR does the vehicle need to be certified OR pulled by a tow truck?

Or does the line "purposes related to the repair, road testing" omit the need for an annual inspection?

lolwut

by: lolwut on

For what purpose are you moving it? That information can assist in answering the question. Is the trailer otherwise plated by the owner?

adityakunal

by: adityakunal on

Good morning,

Just wanted to get an advise if our driver could shunt expired chassis using our dealer plates from Brampton to Hamilton to be scrapped.

We have roughly 30 of them to be shunted.