A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

E410

Ticket For Incorrect Address On Plates

by: E410 on

I was pulled over for speeding, but my record is clean so I didn't get a ticket. However, I did get a ticket for having the my old address on my plates. The officer told me to go to court for it, and he would drop the charges. What do I say when I am in court if he doesn't remember saying that or doesn't appear?

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

First thing you should do is immediately go to MTO and get the address corrected, and keep your copy of the receipt.

Second would be to plead not guilty and ask for trial with officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, you can contact prosecutors office and ask for a meeting. If they won't give you a meeting, then you can just show up on your trial date and meet with prosecutor before the trial. At either of these meetings you would just say you are sorry and that you had forgotten to change it and show them that you have fixed the problem and that you are hoping they will drop the charge. Hopefully the prosecutor is in a good mood when you meet with them and they will drop it.

The police officer has no say what so ever about whether the charge gets dropped or not. Only the prosecutor can make that decision.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
E410

Update.

Went to court. The prosecutor asked what the problem was with my ownership. Told her it was the address. Showed her the updated ownership. Officer did show up. He spoke to the prosecutor. I'm sure I heard them mention my case. When I am called up, prosecutor withdraws charge as I have showed proof of immediate update. I'm certain that the officer recommended to withdraw the charge to the prosecutor. In this case they both agreed. Lucky me! Hope this helps someone.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

It does seem like a waste of everyone's time. What we used to do was issue the ticket and told the driver that if they brought the permit with updated address to the station within 48 hours then the ticket wouldn't be filed. Seemed to work well.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
E410

I prefer your suggested method. The desired result is then obtained with the least amount of resource time. Wonder why this isn't still done.

I will say that it was good experience for me to hear everyone else's trial, and how things are handled.

Post a Reply