A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

LuckyMe

Riding In An E-bike And Charged?

by: LuckyMe on

Hi everyone, just registered and I would like to post my story to find any input or sugeestions from perhaps people whom had a similar experience and here wo go:

I am a 35 year old male, with an Ontario Drivers license (clean) for the past 19 years and NO criminal record!

The event happened past summer, 2011 riding on my e-bike at 1:15 am. I smashed in to a row of newspaper boxes while trying to get as close to the curb as possible to avoid getting hit by a speedy vehicle approaching from behind. Got to close to the curb and lost my balance while the vehicle is passing me, had no space to put my right foot down on the sidewalk. I ended up lying on the sidewalk with a very serious head injury, passing pedestrians called an ambulance.

When TPS and EMS arrived (both at the same time) I was picked-up put on my feet by the cops and the ambulance attendants were dismissed by the cops (witnesses).

On the spot cops asked if I had been drinking which I admitted (had 6 beers between the hours of 1 pm and 10 pm that day) the cops arrested me and they confiscated my drivers license which is not required to operate an e-bike.

I was stuffed in to a Serve and Protect cruiser and given a choice by the cops to either be taken to their station or to hospital for a BT test, I furiously replied with a demand for an ambulance (cruiser video) and medical care.

I was dragged in to East General Hospital and was handcuffed to a gurney, the BT test failed 3 times before it gave an over the limit reading and was forcefully obtained.

At 6 am I was charged with "Impaired driving over 80 mg" CC 254 and with the same charge under the HTA- 90 days DL suspension. I could not receive the desperately needed medical attention unless I accepted and signed the laid charges.

21 days later the MTO re-instated my DL after I was able to proof that the Notice to Registrar was entered falsely by the cops.

I have a trial date in June, 2012 for the impaired driving charge under the CC.

I do have the disclosure including cruiser video.

Hopefully I will receive from anyone either representation and/or some useful input on how to prepare and to proceed if lawyers fees are not affordable.

Your reply will be great fully appreciated,

Cokky

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Unfortunately, Stanton is right. This forum cannot deal with criminal matters. Please contact a lawyer or a paralegal who specializes in dealing with impaired driving.

Thread locked.

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca