Of course I have to assume the JP will ignore my arguments and allow the trial to continue. Here is the interaction between the police officer and the accused:
What is the best strategy of getting the defendant's statement omitted from the police officer's testimony? Do I object when the officer starts reading the defendant's statements? The reasoning seems a bit circular to me because she would only be required to give a statement if she was in a collision totaling more than $2000, which is the whole point of the trial.- few days later, officer comes to see me
- Officer asks if I hit the box
- I said yes
- Officer asks why I didn't report it
- I said I've never hit something before, was scared and was quite shaken up by the whole ordeal and didn't know what to do.
- We go sit in Officer's vehicle and Officer read my rights and then wrote up a ticket.
- I asked Officer if there was anyway I can get let off on a warning as I don't have any previous convictions
- Officer said no
- I take the ticket and said thank you