A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
jlili

Speeding Ticket Advice

by: jlili on

So I received a speeding ticket for going 70km/h in a 50 zone but it was bumped down to 65km/h. It was my first time driving in Toronto and I didn't see any signs so I stupidly assumed it was a 60 zone like where I'm from (Markham) but was caught going 70km/h going down hill in a speed trap. So I have a couple questions:

1. I received 3 tickets 2 years ago: one for speeding (I went 16 over in a school zone not knowing it was a school zone), one for an expired ownership (I was driving my dad's car) and one for forgetting my insurance card at home. However I made a deal with the prosecutor and only had to pay the fine for not having my insurance card on me. My question is: Is the speeding ticket and the ownership one still on my record or were they completely removed?

2. Will the prosecutor even attempt to make a deal with me again or will I go straight to trial?

3. Is it worth hiring x-coppers or some other similar service?

4. My trial is in 1.5 months, is there anything I can do to prepare and should I notify my insurance company? My parents don't know I received this ticket and I'm trying to take care of it myself.

I received this ticket about 9 months ago, I have to pay $52.50 and I don't really have a plan. Can anyone give me some advice? I'd appreciate it, thanks!

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

jlili wrote:1. I received 3 tickets 2 years ago: one for speeding (I went 16 over in a school zone not knowing it was a school zone), one for an expired ownership (I was driving my dad's car) and one for forgetting my insurance card at home. However I made a deal with the prosecutor and only had to pay the fine for not having my insurance card on me. My question is: Is the speeding ticket and the ownership one still on my record or were they completely removed?

Nothing is ever removed from your record. However, your insurance provider will use the last 36 months to determine rates. That would start from the date you were convicted, not the date you were charged.

jlili wrote:2. Will the prosecutor even attempt to make a deal with me again or will I go straight to trial?

Your ticket has already been reduced with little wiggle room left. They'll likely tell you that you can take it or leave it. Your insurance would treat 5km over and 20km over the same anyways. You'd only be saving on the fine amount.

jlili wrote:3. Is it worth hiring x-coppers or some other similar service?

Not for something like this. You'd probably be better off saving your money.

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

jlili wrote:1. I received 3 tickets 2 years ago: one for speeding (I went 16 over in a school zone not knowing it was a school zone), one for an expired ownership (I was driving my dad's car) and one for forgetting my insurance card at home. However I made a deal with the prosecutor and only had to pay the fine for not having my insurance card on me. My question is: Is the speeding ticket and the ownership one still on my record or were they completely removed?
Were the other two withdrawn or were you convicted with a suspended sentence? If they were withdrawn, they will not appear on your record; if you were convicted but did not have a fine, they will show up.

jlili wrote:2. Will the prosecutor even attempt to make a deal with me again or will I go straight to trial?
Don't bet on it. The officer has already reduced the speed to one that will not incur demerit points.

jlili wrote:4. My trial is in 1.5 months, is there anything I can do to prepare and should I notify my insurance company? My parents don't know I received this ticket and I'm trying to take care of it myself.
Do not notify your insurance company! Depending on the company, it may not pull an abstract when you renew and may not even notice, or care about, the ticket. If you mention it, however, you open yourself up to your insurance company caring.[/quote]

jlili wrote:I received this ticket about 9 months ago, I have to pay $52.50 and I don't really have a plan. Can anyone give me some advice? I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Even though I'm the type to fight every ticket (if nothing else, it buys me time), if i were in your position, I would simply pay it. Unless you've requested disclosure and it showed something that would create an "out," it's an easy case. The one thing you can do is ask for more time to pay. If you're a student, not working or have temporary financial constraints, the JP may grant that to you.

Post a Reply