No seat belt traffic ticket - Discuss the HTA here.
bbuffy2000

No Seatbelt And Driving While Under Suspension.

by: bbuffy2000 on

I hope someone can help me here. I am very scared...I've never had to go to court before. I've always had an excellent driving record.

Approx 2 yrs ago, I received a traffic ticket that I thought I had paid.

On the evening of Sept 2, 2012, I was driving home from a family bbq. I was nearing the off ramp on the highway and my son started throwing up in the car. I reached under my seat and couldn't reach the plastic bag I had under there to give to my son. I couldn't quite reach it so I undid my seatbelt and grabbed the bag and gave it to my son. I'm coming off the hwy and grabbing for my seatbelt and there was a ride program right on the ramp!

He came to the car and I gave him my lisence and insurance. He checked everything out and came back and said that my lisence had been under suspension since April. I can say that I honestly didn't get the notification that the officer said they send out. Our mail goes to a 'super mailbox' so maybe it's possible it went into someone else's box. I have no idea.

I got my lisence back but I stilll have to go to court next week for these charges and I'm petrified! I'm 50 yrs old and feel like a child so scared. We haven't the means for me to get a lawyer or I would have done so.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

bbuffy2000 wrote:

I got my lisence back but I stilll have to go to court next week for these charges and I'm petrified! I'm 50 yrs old and feel like a child so scared. We haven't the means for me to get a lawyer or I would have done so.

Minimum fine for Driving while suspended is $1000 (plus surcharges and reinstatement fees), mandatory 6 month license suspension, and up to 6 months of jail time.

People here are going to be apprehensive about giving you advice because of the possibility of jail time. I wouldn't worry about going to jail, but representation is recommended anyways.

Post a Reply