No seat belt traffic ticket - Discuss the HTA here.
coolamir

Got A Ticket For Not Wearing Seatbelts In Backseat !!!

by: coolamir on

Hi,

Today I learned that wearing seatbelts are mandatory for passengers in the backseat after getting 2 x $ 240.00 tickets for me and my wife.

So after 13 years driving I guess this is the law since 2006. Anyway, should I appeal Not Guilty? Is there any chance I can win for not knowing the law?

Or should I just choose "early resolution" for reducing the fine?

My wife is a student and I just quit my job so unemployed at the moment. My wife got her license last year as she's only been living in Canada for 14 months. I never ever got a ticket in my life before.

Thank you.

PS. I live in Niagara Falls but got the tickets in highway 401 near Toronto.

Passing Thru

by: Passing Thru on

coolamir wrote:

Today I learned that wearing seatbelts are mandatory for passengers in the backseat

LOL, I'm confused as to why you wouldn't wear a seatbelt in the back seat even if it wasn't mandatory??? Is it safer in the back than it is in the front some way? That just makes absolutely no sense to me at all. All I can see is that you now become dangerous to everyone else in the car that were smart enough to buckle up when you are involved in a collision because you pinball off everything inside..... and maybe outside too if you are really unlucky.

Passing Thru

P.S. Probably wouldn't fight the ticket though, claiming to not know the law is not a defense, it is just an explanation. Also you won't get any points on your licence because you were a passenger.

Last edited by Passing Thru on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

Your best bet in this case is to probably plea bargain for a reduced fine based on the fact that you and your wife are low income. Book an early resolution meeting for you and your wife and see what the prosecutor offers you. If you don't like his offer you can still go for trial later if you want.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

I always make sure all the passengers in the back are wearing their seat belts, I won't drive until they are. Bad habit, unless you want to die. Had a relative who busted up his eye for not wearing a seat belt, now there is perm damage. He was also in the back when the car had a collision. Not a fun way to learn to buckle up if you ask me.

Post a Reply