Exceeding The Limit By 42km/h On A 3 Lane Busy Hwy With A Police Car Mobile In Collectors Lane

fleetwoodorbit

Exceeding The Limit By 42km/h On A 3 Lane Busy Hwy With A Police Car Mobile In Collectors Lane

Unread post by fleetwoodorbit »

Hello

my son was travelling west bound on 401 to London. A bunch of vehicles were in the express lane travelling fast. He happen to cut from middle lane to the express to pass 1 vehicle. He states that there was 1 vehicle ahead of him in the express and more following behind. His speed was at 130 in order to over take this one vehicle but he vehicle ahead of him who was travelling faster decided to pull in the middle lane as he probably saw the unmarked police vehicle in the collectors lane ahead. My son noticed the police as well as he pulled in ahead of the leading car who slowed down. He states that the police slowed down even more and got behind him in the middle lane. By then he was doing 108km/h. The police followed him a short distance and pulled him over. He said that my son had been clocked doing 142km/h. My son told him what he was doing. That the other vehicle was going faster and the officer told him that he didnt want to hear any fairy tales. Came back and charged him with 142km/h in a 100km/h zone. 4 points/317.00

My son was driving his grandmothers white chev cruze with tinted windows.

I would certainly like to know how OPP radars work in a heavy traffic area with 3 lanes. The officer doesnt have eyes behind his head and it would surely take a highly skilled person to press and lock in a targeted speed and making sure that it was that vehicle travelling at the excess speed.

To me it was pick a car, any car. Now try to fight it.

Pretty bad when an officer tells him your not getting away with this and your gonna learn a lesson.

He has until the 11th to choose option 3.

What are your thoughts on this........also what or who do i speak to in order to get officers notes. Is this something he can fight since the police was ahead in the collectors and many cars surrounding travelling in same direction.

thx.

bend

Posting Awards

Unread post by bend »

fleetwoodorbit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pm

I would certainly like to know how OPP radars work in a heavy traffic area with 3 lanes. The officer doesnt have eyes behind his head and it would surely take a highly skilled person to press and lock in a targeted speed and making sure that it was that vehicle travelling at the excess speed.

I think you're thinking it's something like Top Gun, but it's not that complicated. The moving/mobile radar works a couple different ways. It can either detect traffic moving the same or opposite direction. You can also get speeds from the front or the rear.

The officer would also confirm it visually and/or by pacing. No, they don't have eyes on the back of their head. Much like standard pedestrian vehicles, police transportation are also equipped with mirrors.

If that police vehicle is travelling 100km and the vehicles behind are travelling 130km+ behind them, that is something that could be confirmed visually. If the police vehicle in front chooses to speed up and pace the vehicles behind against his own speed, that is another.

fleetwoodorbit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pmTo me it was pick a car, any car. Now try to fight it.

Your son has already admitted that he was doing 30+km over the limit.

fleetwoodorbit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:41 pm

What are your thoughts on this........also what or who do i speak to in order to get officers notes.

You will have to make a disclosure request by filling out a disclosure request form. You can make your own or use one provided to you. Practically all municipalities will make their own version of this form available on their website. Grab the one that relates to the location of the ticket.

You'll request a trial and wait for your Notice of Trial to appear in the mail. From there, you can make your disclosure request.

Keep in mind that speeding is what they call an absolute liability offense. That means the court is only interested in whether your son was speeding or not.