A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

DKM13

Help With Right Of Way At Unusual 3 Way Stop - Northbound Has Stop, Southbound Has Yield, Westbound Has Stop.

by: DKM13 on

Hi All,

To me this seems very cut and dry, but in discussions I have had, I was met with a lot of opposition which has me second guessing myself.

The 3 way intersection in Ottawa is Ramsayville Rd and Ridge Rd. Ramsayville is north/south, and Ridge Rd intersects from the East.

Northbound Ramsayville has a stop sign. Southbound has a yield sign. Ridge Rd has a stop sign. A very unusual layout.

The problem I see is that southbound drivers tend to blow through the yield on left turns ignoring northbound cars that have come to a complete stop at the stop sign, as the yield gives them priority over traffic as opposed to being a situation where northbound cars that have come to a complete stop should have right of way. Am I wrong about who has right of way here? At what point does northbound traffic get right of way? After a complete stop or not until all southbound traffic is clear?

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

The signage at this intersection is ridiculous. I'm surprised there aren't accidents every day there.

The yield sign facing southbound drivers means they must yield right of way to all oncoming traffic and may not proceed into the intersection until it is safe to do so. Any northbound drivers who have come to a complete stop have right of way over southbound traffic. Northbound drivers only need to yield right of way to those turning left from Ridge onto southbound Ramsayville who arrive at the intersection first.

That said, if I were driving northbound and saw a car preparing to turn left, I would likely wait to avoid an accident. However, if there were a long line of cars, I'm sure drivers would become frustrated if northbound drivers started letting too many southbound drivers turn.

The best thing that could happen here would be for the City of Ottawa to replace the yield sign with a stop sign. If I'm not mistaken, this intersection is on or near a hill, meaning some drivers may have an obstructed or less-than-clear view of oncoming traffic.

DKM13

by: DKM13 on

Yes, you are exactly right about the hill. I would really like to see the yield sign remain, as it is much more efficient if there's no traffic to not have to stop on a hill, but if people keep on going the way they are, it will probably become a 3 way stop.

Thanks for the clarification!

Post a Reply