A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

Cabby033

Posting Awards

Speeding School Zone Lights Flashing Max Speed 40 Km/hr

by: Cabby033 on

Received speeding ticket 55/40 km hr .Was told that since the lights were flashing that the speed limit was reduced to 40 km/hr from 50.Was told my original speed was 62.There was nothing checked in the code box on the offence.Question, Is this just written as the offence states speeding 55 in a 40 or should school zone be added or does it even matter?

Last ticket i went right to the day of trial, Prosecutor asked me if i was ready i said yes,i asked him if the officer was present to proceed,he said he is on the road all i have to do is call him on his cell.I became nervous and plead guilty.What should my response be if this happens again?

Cabby033

Posting Awards

Cabby033 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Speeding ticket 55/40 km hr .Was told that since the lights were flashing that the speed limit was reduced to 40 km/hr from 50.Was told my original speed was 62.There was nothing checked in the code box on the offence.Question, Is this just written as the offence states speeding 55 in a 40 or should school zone be added or does it even matter?

Last ticket i went right to the day of trial, Prosecutor asked me if i was ready i said yes,i asked him if the officer was present to proceed,he said he is on the road all i have to do is call him on his cell.I became nervous and plead guilty.What should my response be if this happens again?

terdferguson

Posting Awards

by: terdferguson on

Nothing needs to be noted in the code box. Sometimes the officer will write "R" for reduced, but definitely not mandatory.

School zone does not need to be added to the wording. You may want to check the signage in the area to make sure the school zone signs/flashing lights were clearly posted for the direction you were travelling.

In regards to the officer not being present at trial, sometimes they will provide their contact info to the prosecutor to call them when ready to proceed. Having officers sitting around in court all day isn't really that efficient. Often they are working nearby and will be ready to attend. Not that uncommon. You could always call their bluff and demand to proceed to trial, but why would they lie about that?

I don't think you're going to be a better deal than 15 km/h over. Plus, you run the risk of having speed amended back up at trial. In my opinion, it wouldn't be worth the time or effort.

Cabby033

Posting Awards

After reading many different cases on this site with respect to speeding, it would appear to me, that going to trial on any speeding ticket appears to be a truly useless in most cases All the benefits go to the prosecution eg :, most errors on the offence can be amended, if you lose your trial it can be amended to the original speed, the officer may or may not be present in court however with a call he can appear, ( unfortunately you are not afforded the same benefit}The laser speed device only needs to be tested before and after the officers shift not any time in between,And on and on.Thanks

Post a Reply