A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Speg

Suggestions For First Ticket

by: Speg on

Hi

I have been driving directions 23 years without a single ticket and was recently pulled over while driving a car a borrowed from my neighbour. I was driving a jaguar xk rs which I know draws attention and the exhaust is fairly loud. I was in the downtown core looking for a parking spot and had to circle.the block a couple times, I did give a bit of gas because it did sound amazing. I turned around one more time and an officer pulled up.beside me and told me to pull over. I parked the car and stepped out if the car because I didn't realize the front skirt stuck out so far and hit the curb 😭 the officer said that I was drifting and asked if I was drinking, I replied no, he asked if I would pass a road side test and I said yes, he asked.for all my documentation.

Shortly after he came back and I explained I was looking for a parking spot and that I have never had a ticket, he said I was stunt driving, I explained I wasn't and that the cars exhaust is loud. He said that he wouldn't charge me with stunt driving and gave me a ticket for failure to provide registration and another for failure to provide insurance, I did give him proof but he did not accept photocopies, I explained the vehicle was purchased a week ago and did not have the originals yet, the officer said that if I chose to fight the ticket he will tell the crown I was stunt driving.

I felt belittled and threatened so I said sorry and kept my mouth shut.

What should I do?

Zatota

Posting Awards

by: Zatota on

Photocopies of registration and insurance are not sufficient. The only exception is if you have an insurance binder for a new car. A binder is a temporary certificate that is issued pending the issuance of the usual certificate. A faxed or e-mailed and printed copy of a binder will do. You should have received the original of the registration with the car.

DCamM

Posting Awards

by: DCamM on

There is never an original registration in a rental vehicle or a company vehicle driven by an employee, etc.

There is however, always an original insurance pink slip.

***I am not a lawyer, I have no legal qualifications and my opinions could well be wrong***.
Speg

by: Speg on

The vehicle was.just leased last week and the copy of the insurance was an email copy.

Should I fight these tickets or will I be worse off he the officer says I was stunt driving because it would be my word against his.

dude

Posting Awards

by: dude on

Fight it. I don't believe he can just charge you with something else in court. It does not hurt to ask for disclosure and a trial date.

You can always plead guilty at the time of trial if you do not wish to fight it at that time. So you will not lose anything by requesting a trial and asking for full disclosure and it is to your advantage.

Once you have full disclosure then you can see what evidence is used against you i.e officers notes. You can always come back here and let us know what was disclosed and maybe you'll find an answer.

Post a Reply