A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
t3ch9

Going 125 Km On 404 N Highway

by: t3ch9 on

Hey Guys,

I need some advice. I got a speeding ticket for going 115 km on 404 N. The real speed i was going was 125 km/h on the express lane. A local york region police officer was driving behind me (did not know they could give tickets on highway) and he pulled me over saying i was going 130 and his camera started beeping. He wrote me a ticket for 115 km/h. I told him: "i really don't feel like I was speeding that much" and he said: "Hey maybe you can get away with a technicality or something, you can take it to court if you don't agree with the ticket".

Any advice on this? I'm not sure what to do, this ticket will really hurt my insurance really hard because I've been in a collision earlier this year. Even if it gets reduced, if its a traffic violation, my insurance company will see it.

t3ch9

I also forgot to mention on the ticket he wrote R130 as the code. This means i was travelling at 130 km/h and he reduced the fine to 115.

I was not going 130, this number is incorrect. I had cruise control set to 125 km/h. There was a slope and the car was going down hill, i imagine the car sped up to 126-127 (MAX) during the slope but definitely not 130. I seen the speedometer at 126 km/h max but obviously the reading on my speedometer and his camera are not going to be exactly the same.

I don't know if this could be used to get the ticket dropped.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

You're saying you 'imagine the car sped up to 126-127', he's going to say his calibrated authorised equipment said 130. See where this is going ?

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
t3ch9

Yes, i understand what you are saying. I actually did see the police behind me and i did keep an eye on my speedometer and it did not pass 126 km/h. If he is showing 130 that means he is either guessing or does not have proper evidence.

The only other alternative is that my speedometer showed a different value than his camera. My car is a 2017 civic with like 20k kms on it. I don't believe my speedometer is wrong.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Speeding is whats called an absolute liability offense. Basically, that means you were either going the speed limit or you weren't. There's no in between.

Because of that, your argument isn't a valid defense.

t3ch9

Yes but my argument isn't "haha i was going 125 not 130". My argument is the speed he got on his camera was different than my speedometer meaning his camera could not be correctly calibrated or there is possibly no evidence at all and he guessed 130.

Would this not be enough proof to get the ticket dropped?

t3ch9

He gave me this ticket just to abuse his power. Regional police never give tickets on the highway, only under extreme circumstances. Going 125 on the highway is not extreme especially in the express lane where people are going 140+. He was mad because I was driving in front of him and didn't move out of the way which is complete bs. Police should not be treated like gods "oh my god its a police lets move out of the way". His sirens were off, I have the right to drive in front of him.

He fully told me: "if you moved, I wouldn't have gave you the ticket. Most people move out of respect when an officer drives by, i just found the fact you stayed in front of me disrespectful".

I work for a living too, i pay my taxes too, i have the right to use the road just as much as they do.

I'm just upset because this is going to hurt my insurance now even though it was such a unnecessary ticket. I'm hoping if i can find some technicality issue that could get this dismissed.

Getting ticketed like this, makes me lose all respect for police officers. Some of them are great and helpful and than there are these ones who deserve being called terms like "pigs".