Improper passing - section 148 of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.
Mystery

Passing The Streetcar

by: Mystery on

I was diving south and proceeded to go west so I went into the right hand lane. There was a streetcar beside me on the left-hand lane. I was going at approximately 30 km/h when I noticed the streetcar doors start to open. I preceded to stop before the streetcar doors opened however the braking was a little jerky. When the doors opened there was an angry women who left from the rear side of the streetcar. She was pointing to me and making hand gestures. I did not leave my car to approach this woman. She then proceeded to take out her phone to take a picture of my vehicle. I'm pretty sure she's going to report this.

However, I was behind the streetcar when I stopped my vehicle. The streetcar driver did not honk at me. There were no cops in the area. Am I in trouble for this?

ynotp

Posting Awards

by: ynotp on

You are required to come to a stop and stay 2 metres behind an open streetcar door, if you cannot stop in time to leave the space then do not stop. The trouble is that (unlike a school bus) there is no way to know for sure if a streetcar door is going to open at a stop to let someone on or off as drivers are not given any real warning other than other than interpreting certain visual queues and hope that the passengers will use common sense.

So yes, you are in the wrong, but I would not expect to get a ticket after the fact for this.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posting Awards

by: admin on

About a few months ago, I also had a similar incident driving down King St ... Street Car simply stops in-front of me, I have no idea people are getting out... Some dude gets out..I stop obviously...Jack ass starts hitting my car!

Post a Reply