A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: admin, hwybear, Radar Identified, Reflections, bend, Decatur

OntDrive

Early Resolution Vs. Pay Paralegal

by: OntDrive on

I was pulled over by an OPP officer on Highway 7. I was told I was driving 35 km over the speed limit. I live over 75 km away so I am trying to decide whether to go the early resolution route and discuss the ticket over the phone with the Prosecutor myself or pay a Paralegal to represent me. I do not dispute I was speeding (although I do not feel I was going at that rate). The officer did not give me a break, he gave me a ticket for the full amount he indicated that he recorded. I am really upset over my driving on that day, speeding is out of character for me and I have a very safe and clean driving record for many years which I hope will be taken into consideration.

Can anyone tell me if a prosecutor generally offers much of a reduction (especially demerit points) in early resolution when speaking directly with the driver? Or, would I be more likely to get a better outcome by paying $400 to a paralegal to plea my fine?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

If your goal is to simply receive a reduction, save your money and do it yourself. You're in a position where a paralegal isn't necessary.

This gets said repeatedly around here, but points are rather worthless. Unless you're not a fully licensed driver or you manage to get pulled over every other week, they are mostly meaningless. Your insurance doesn't care about them and you have to rack up a mountain of them before they have meaning. They last 2 years from the day you were pulled over before they disappear and don't show up until a conviction.

In terms of insurance, it's not going to matter whether it's 35, 29, or 15km. It's pretty much all the same to them until you get to 50km. So whether you drop down a couple kilometers or skim off some points, it's not of any interest to them. 1-49km is considered a minor offense and will be treated all the same.

Realistically, you're saving money on the fine and that's about it.

OntDrive

by: OntDrive on

Thank you so much for responding, that makes me feel a bit better. Because of my normally good driving habits, I was offered and purchased a Minor conviction waiver on my insurance where it won't go up for a minor conviction. I was concerned that my insurance company would not consider it minor because of the 4 (or even 3 points if reduced). Are you fairly sure that anything under 50km is considered minor? Thanks so much for any info you are able to provide.

Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”