A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Shijqa

Suspension Due To Seizure

by: Shijqa on

Hello,

I had a seizure last week and went to the ER, where I was informed that the hospital was under the obligation to report the seizure to the MTO, and that my driver's licence would be suspended.

It is the first time I have a seizure, EKG, bloodwork and CT Scan came back normall, so at least I am not dealing with a (visible) brain tumour.

I haven't touched the wheel since then, because I still don't know if it is safe for me to drive. I am scheduled for an EEG and hope the neurologist will be able to clear me.

That said, IT SUCKS. I can't take my kids to their activities, I have cancelled all volunteering, I have informed my boss that I can no longer provide on-site service to my customers. Luckily, I work at a 25-minute walk's distance, 10 minutes if riding a bicycle, and most of my work is remote, so my job is not in immediate jeopardy.

I consider myself a law-abiding citizen and I don't want to do anything that could put someone else's life in danger, but I am hopeful I can have my licence reinstated within a couple of months if test results are good. It would be nice to be able to drive again before winter comes back.

I have already started making adjustments to my life. The two big problems I foresee are kids' activities and road trips. My wife and I usually take turns every two hours during long drives. We will have to revisit the way we take our vacations.

Anyway, I am rambling but this is not the purpose of my post -- I have accepted the situation and and its immediate consequences and will change my life accordingly. I don't think I have a choice anyway.

However I have a few questions and I would appreciate some feedback from people who would have gone through a similar experience:

1. How long does it take to receive the MTO's notice of suspension? Is it effective immediately?

I haven't received anything yet, but I totally expect a letter soon. Does it mean that in the absence of notification I have a grace period during which can drive a motorised vehicle? Or shall I consider my suspension immediate from the time I had my seizure? I am asking because I could at least organise the next few days differently.

2. OK, I can't drive. But I know how to drive, I have over 25 years of driving experience, I have driven extensively in North America and Western Europe. I consider that I am qualified to sit next to my daughter who has a G1 to accompany and instruct her. Does the suspension mean that I can't be an instructor to my daughter at all? At least I would like to teach her until she is comfortable with the stick.

3. Does the Highway Traffic Act apply on private grounds? This could be a workaround, at least for teaching my daughter to use the stick.

4. Some of you must have gone through the reinstatement process. How long shall I expect it to take before I can drive again? Anything I can do to make processing smoother? Anything I should avoid doing?

I apologise if my post is in breach of etiquette, I am completely new to this type of situation and don't really know where to find answers.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Shijqa wrote:1. How long does it take to receive the MTO's notice of suspension? Is it effective immediately?

I haven't received anything yet, but I totally expect a letter soon. Does it mean that in the absence of notification I have a grace period during which can drive a motorised vehicle? Or shall I consider my suspension immediate from the time I had my seizure? I am asking because I could at least organise the next few days differently.

I don't know the answer to this. I don't believe it's effective immediately. The doctor writes the report and then the ministry will decide whether or not to suspend your license. Although, if your doctor informs you not to drive, you probably shouldn't. Even if your license is still valid for a day or 2, your insurance provider might refuse to cover any incident since a doctor has told you not to drive.

Shijqa wrote:2. OK, I can't drive. But I know how to drive, I have over 25 years of driving experience, I have driven extensively in North America and Western Europe. I consider that I am qualified to sit next to my daughter who has a G1 to accompany and instruct her. Does the suspension mean that I can't be an instructor to my daughter at all? At least I would like to teach her until she is comfortable with the stick.

The accompanying driver must have a valid license. A suspended license is not considered valid.

Shijqa wrote:3. Does the Highway Traffic Act apply on private grounds? This could be a workaround, at least for teaching my daughter to use the stick.

You would need a qualified driver if you wanted to use a parking lot across the street or something like that and needed to be on the road at any point. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Shijqa wrote:4. Some of you must have gone through the reinstatement process. How long shall I expect it to take before I can drive again? Anything I can do to make processing smoother? Anything I should avoid doing?

It's up to your doctor and the individuals reviewing your case. From reading about other individuals in your situation, random incidents like seizures, blackouts, etc take awhile because Doctors may not know exactly what caused your incident. Sometimes they will run test after test before they are sure it's not a condition that will repeat. Once you get the OK, your doctor will send a letter to the ministry and they'll review your case. The review itself may take up to 4 weeks.

Shijqa

Thanks for the quick reply, Bend,

Not really what I was hoping to hear, but I can't say I am surprised.

Well, I guess I have to learn to live differently and be patient while attempting the reinstatement process.

I am not happy, but I am not unreasonable either, so I'll just accept things the way they are.

Cheers.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

Good attitude. Certainly this is a huge pain for you but imagine having a seizure while driving and causing something catastrophic. Well done to you for taking it in your stride.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Shijqa

Ya, it feels immensely unfair, but all things considered the suspension of my driver's licence -- while a huge inconvenience -- is not my #1 problem. One has to set their priorities straight and I intend to address my health and safety concerns first. I am a bit scared of what I may find down the road, though, but there is no point living in denial.

Post a Reply