amishapatels0707

Rental Vehicle Failing To Stop School Bus

by: amishapatels0707 on

Hi,

I was driving a rented vehicle.

The school bus was parked. There were no flashing signs. No pedestrians or school kids moving.

When I passed the bus then I could hear the honking from the driver.

I stopped the vehicle and apologized to the bus driver.

The bus driver was rude and told me you will be charged and passed me.

Will I get demerit points?

How much time will the cop come to my door to issue me a ticket since it is rented vehicle?

Will I get it in the mail?

Will car rental company transfer the demerit points to my license?

I am bit nervous and freaked out. I had always have maintained clean driving record.

If the cop doesn't come to my door, am I good? just typing to relax my nerves.

Please advice strongly.

Thanks

amishapatels0707

by: amishapatels0707 on

Should I speak to my rental car company?

Will the cops come to my door after getting the info from the car rental.

And how can I prove that I didn't do anything wrong? In my case it should be the word of mouth.

My wife was sitting in the vehicle at the the time and she did notice that the school bus honked and flashed the lights only after we passed it.

Please advise.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I doubt they will come to your door as they won't be able to prove that it was you driving the car. If they do come to your door exercise your right to remain silent and do not confirm that you were the one driving, you don't have to lie, just don't answer the question. Normally in this situation the owner of the car gets charged. The High Way Traffic Act allows the owner of a car that is seen failing to stop for a school bus to be charged when the driver can't be identified. This is simpler for the cops because they don't have to prove who was driving. When someone is charged as the owner of the vehicle no points are added to their record all they have to do is pay the fine. What might happen in this case is the COPS could issue the ticket to the rental company as the owners of the car and then the rental company could simply pass the cost on to you. Most rental car agreements allow the rental company to bill the credit card you gave them to cover any outstanding fines or tolls you accumulate on the car while you are renting it. If they do it this way that will be really annoying for you as you won't have any way to fight the charge.

Post a Reply