Collision Center Reporting - Ticket In The Mail?

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Reflections, admin, Radar Identified, hwybear, bend, Decatur

sabs

Collision Center Reporting - Ticket In The Mail?

Unread post by sabs »

Hi all,

I was (recently) involved in a traffic accident where, due to icy road conditions, I slid into oncoming traffic while making a right turn, while they were coming towards me and stopping at a stop sign. This was a residential area and there's no way I was exceeding anything over 20KM/h on that turn. Regardless, I think I'll likely be found at fault given the front-on collision was on the oncoming lane.

No one was injured, nor were airbags deployed. The police declined to come to the scene, given no injuries, but requested we report to a Collision Center.

I arrived at the Collision Center but the report was brief. The other party I hit came in shortly after me (while I was making the report) and joined me to make the report together. Other than mentioning to me "so, you were going too fast", the police officer seemed to just glance at pictures of the accident on our phones before typing in his report. He didn't mention anything else and the report likely took a total of 5-10 minutes.

I thought I got off scot-free, but my brother mentioned that there is still a possibility of receiving a ticket (i.e. careless driving) through the mail. Is this possible - I'm quite worried about this as this is my first driving infraction and the possible 4 demerit points is steep.

Apologies for the long discussion but I'm honestly losing sleep over this (I know...). Thanks for your help, everyone!

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

I believe careless is 6 points, and you can count on your insurance being cancelled. Do you not have a copy of the accident report? You could still be charged. A ticket must be served personally. A charge by way of a summons must be served within 6 months. That being said, if you were charged you can pretty much always plea it down to a minor offence.

Even if you are not charged the accident as you described it will likely be deemed a 100 percent at fault accident by your insurer. (I hope you have accident forgiveness.)

sabs

Unread post by sabs »

Thanks for the response!

No accident report, all the officer gave me was a "collision information exchange form" brochure which noted the officer information and incident number. He said everything will be sent to our insurance and that was that.

Is it common for officers to show-up at your door to deliver a ticket?

ynotp

Posting Awards

Unread post by ynotp »

It happens, I wouldn't say it's unusual, but not overly common either. Usually when people go to the reporting centre they all say they were the ones driving properly so there isn't much basis to issue a ticket.

bobajob

Posting Awards

Unread post by bobajob »

WHAT are you saying that people "lie" or expand on the truth.......... NEVER ;) LOLZ

ynotp wrote:It happens, I wouldn't say it's unusual, but not overly common either. Usually when people go to the reporting centre they all say they were the ones driving properly so there isn't much basis to issue a ticket.
--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
OTD Legal

Posting Awards

Unread post by OTD Legal »

sabs wrote:Hi all,

I was (recently) involved in a traffic accident where, due to icy road conditions, I slid into oncoming traffic while making a right turn, while they were coming towards me and stopping at a stop sign. This was a residential area and there's no way I was exceeding anything over 20KM/h on that turn. Regardless, I think I'll likely be found at fault given the front-on collision was on the oncoming lane.

No one was injured, nor were airbags deployed. The police declined to come to the scene, given no injuries, but requested we report to a Collision Center.

I arrived at the Collision Center but the report was brief. The other party I hit came in shortly after me (while I was making the report) and joined me to make the report together. Other than mentioning to me "so, you were going too fast", the police officer seemed to just glance at pictures of the accident on our phones before typing in his report. He didn't mention anything else and the report likely took a total of 5-10 minutes.

I thought I got off scot-free, but my brother mentioned that there is still a possibility of receiving a ticket (i.e. careless driving) through the mail. Is this possible - I'm quite worried about this as this is my first driving infraction and the possible 4 demerit points is steep.

Apologies for the long discussion but I'm honestly losing sleep over this (I know...). Thanks for your help, everyone!

You can be charged up to 6 months after the offence date. Generally if you are charged after the offence date, the offence will be issued by means of summons which opens you up to a greater range of penalty (possible higher fine, and a possible court issued licence suspension). Careless Driving falls under section 130 of the HTA and can be found in full here. Hopefully you will not be charged and your report will be the end of it.

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.