A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Off Topic / Announcing A Minors Name ?

by: bobajob on

Sorry for the OT, bu I trust the advice given here.

I didn't know till after the fact (and it all turned out ok),

Yesterday we had a party for my 6 year old.

We had a Party room in a mall, with a fun fair/amusement park.

One of the children ran off, no parents (long story) the child is about 9.

Wife tried to get them to do an announcement and they point blank refused saying that it is against the law to announce a minors name on a PA system

(not sure too much of what else was argued said)

anyway child was found ok,

So..

* is it illegal to do this?

* if it is could they not have done something else?

* Should sig other. rang 911 immediatly? and would they have done anything

There was a big child abduction case in the UK, and I know speed is somtimes of the essence,

thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

* is it illegal to do this?

Not as far as I know, although it is not necessarily recommend procedure.

Back when I used worked for a big box retailer there was a missing child code that was read over the PA in circumstances like this. After the announcement was made staff would be positioned by the exits, with a description of the child, to make sure the kid didn't leave the building and then a sweep of the store would be conducted with the assistance of the parent. We didn't point blank announce that there was a missing child because if it was in fact a kidnapping we didn't want the kidnapper to know we were actively looking for them. We also wouldn't announce the child's or parent's name over the PA because we didn't want to give away either name to a potential kidnapper. I'm surprised a mall, especially one with a kid's party room, didn't have a similar procedure for missing children. This must be something that happens fairly often in that kind of place.

If mall security was being useless, I think calling the police would have been a good option. I think most police forces take missing children calls seriously and would dispatch officers in a timely manor.

bobajob

Posting Awards

by: bobajob on

Txs for the response,

and yes all good points, this was for the "Woodbine Mall - and Fantasy fair"; not impressed,

I was unaware of this til it was over.

but appreciate the response daggx

daggx wrote:* is it illegal to do this?

Not as far as I know, although it is not necessarily recommend procedure.

Back when I used worked for a big box retailer there was a missing child code that was read over the PA in circumstances like this. After the announcement was made staff would be positioned by the exits, with a description of the child, to make sure the kid didn't leave the building and then a sweep of the store would be conducted with the assistance of the parent. We didn't point blank announce that there was a missing child because if it was in fact a kidnapping we didn't want the kidnapper to know we were actively looking for them. We also wouldn't announce the child's or parent's name over the PA because we didn't want to give away either name to a potential kidnapper. I'm surprised a mall, especially one with a kid's party room, didn't have a similar procedure for missing children. This must be something that happens fairly often in that kind of place.

If mall security was being useless, I think calling the police would have been a good option. I think most police forces take missing children calls seriously and would dispatch officers in a timely manor.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Post a Reply

Return to “General Talk”