A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

b-c

Officer Did Not File My Ticket Within 7 Days

by: b-c on

Hi,

My trial date is in a couple days for a speeding ticket (york region) and i am nervous it is my first ticket ever as well as first trial

I did notice my ticket was filed beyond 7 days, 10 days after the day i got the ticket to be exact, which is stamped on the ticket. is this enough to have it dismissed?

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

"Filing of certificate of offence

4. A certificate of offence shall be filed in the office of the court as soon as is practicable, but no later than seven days after service of the offence notice or summons. 2009, c. 33, Sched. 4, s. 1 (4)."

I don't know if that's an automatic dismissal though.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

The filing date will be stamped on the original Certificate of Offence that the officer filed with the court, not on your ticket.

When you show up for trial, you can go up to the clerk before the trial starts and ask them to show you the filing the date on the original.

If it is indeed 10 days after the ticket was issued, then you can ask the clerk why it got filed, and then you can tell the prosecutor as well before the trial starts. If the prosecutor wants to still have a trial, then when the trial starts you need to tell the Justice of the Peace right away that the Certificate of Offence was filed 10 days after the ticket was issued and Section 4 of the Provincial Offences Act says "A certificate of offence shall be filed in the office of the court as soon as is practicable, but no later than seven days after service of the offence notice or summons." and therefore the charge should be dropped.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

You have 15 days to file YOUR copy of the ticket (called the Notice of Offence), otherwise you will just be automatically found guilty.

The officer has 7 days to file their original copy of the ticket (called the Certificate of Offence).

So what do you have with a date stamp on it? Your ticket (notice of offence) or the officers original (certificate of offence)? Or does it say SUMMONS at the top of your ticket in which case none of this applies.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
Post a Reply