A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

StefanD

Form 4 Offence Notice - Content

by: StefanD on

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anybody could tell me what "V" stands for on the Code section of the Form 4. I think that it will be useful to understand what information is on this form in order to make a decision on what option we should chose.

StefanD

jsherk wrote:Can you scan it and post so we can see what you mean?

I prefer not to scan it for privacy concerns but ...

The offence was "Proceed contrary to sign at intersection"

The "code" that I'm asking it's on the first page of the offence notice on the left side right under Contrary to: Highway Traffic act Sect/144(9) - in my case.

There is a table with 3 rows containing following fields from left to right.

First row: Plate Number; Juris.;Commercial; CVOR; NSC; Code

Second row : Provincial offences officer; Officer #; Division& Platoon

Third row: Set fine of; Total Payable

Here a link to a blank form http://du0tsrdospf80.cloudfront.net/ima ... age010.jpg

I have to mention that i have also a speeding ticket that I will fight in court but there, the V letter, is not present in the code field. So ... it makes me wonder...

Thanks!

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

Every ticket I have ever seen it is blank. Seems to me it is related to COMMERCIAL drivers licenses.

Regardless of it being there or not, and what it might mean, in my opinion it will not help you at all beat the ticket.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
StefanD

UnluckyDuck wrote:Jsherk, I believe he's talking about the part of the ticket where for example, an officer reduces a speeding ticket, they put "R" in that code box.

What was the offense for? Maybe it's a hand written ticket and the R looks like a V?

Thanks for trying to help me. The offence was Proceed contrary to sign at intersection HTA 144 (9)

So on a speed ticket is an "R" in that that can stand for (R)adar or reduced. In my case the cop said that i was recorded so i'm afraid that V stands for (V)ideo and here rely my problem. If they have proof of video is quite futile to go in court. The same could be if you have a speed ticket that has a R meaning probably Radar. It's possible that the Prosecutor eyes on your Offence Notice and they know instant if they have a proof or not. I was caught myself in a speed trap but there is no R on code which makes me hope that i have a chance in court.

Hence I would like to know if anybody knows what V is standing for....

Thanks again

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

You can still plead Not Guilty and request a trial, and then request disclosure (officers notes AND video). If there is video they are going to use, then they have to provide a copy to you.

Nevo

by: Nevo on

Just because the Officer has Video and Audio does not mean you should not fight it and that it would be futile.

I've had a ticket where I was caught doing 80 in a 60 and the Officer almost forgot to tell me I was being recorded!

When it came time to court, the Officer was present and there was sufficient evidence for a conviction as charged.

My representative in court was able to get the speed reduced from the 3 point area to 75/60 (no points).

StefanD

@screeech - I know Z is on my driver licence and not on my ticket. I'm asking about a V found under Code on the ticket. I mentioned Z because jsherk said that it may be related to Commercial and I was asking argill because he was an Ontario Police Officer

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

There are no set or established codes being used in Ontario. It varies across the province. The only consistent one is the R for a reduced speeding charge. The R in our case is to let the prosecutor know at a glance that the ticket was reduced at roadside.

Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

One more thing about video, based on what happened with my wife's trial.

Just because the officer says there is video recording of you, it does not mean that is the case or game is over.

I requested the video of my wife's alleged infraction and it dd not exist, even though she was told by the officer he had such evidence.

In case you are wondering, that charge was dropped.

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

The law says that if you lie to police you can be charged. However it is perfectly okay for them to lie to you. Different rules for different people... this is our great Canadian un-justice system at work!

Post a Reply