A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

Right Of Way With U-turns

by: Stanton on

Hypothetical question that I thought Id run by the hive mind. I was out driving the other day when I saw a close call between two cars. Got me thinking about the scenario and whod be at fault, etc. I've attached a diagram.

Green car has a green light and is waiting to make a u-turn at an intersection where it's permitted. Orange car had a red light and is waiting to make a right turn at the intersection. Once traffic clears, both cars proceed to make their turns simultaneously. Due to the sharp turning radius, green car is unable to turn into the closest lane and instead goes into the far lane where orange car is turning.

Part of me thinks both cars are at fault, since any turning movement requires you to make sure the movement can be made in safety. Thoughts?

Attachments
diag01.jpg
diag01.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

I would suggest that this is similar to the discussion we had about the left turn into the inside lane of a 2 lane road v the red light turner.

I think the car having the green light will always trump the car proceeding through a red.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Under Ontario fault determination rules, regulation 668 section 19(b) any making a uturn is deemed 100% at fault in a collision.

Now to deal with the HTA. Depending on the intersection, there may be a circumstance where the green car has an advanced left turn and the orange vehicle may have a green arrow to the right.

I wouldn't be charging the orange car unless they failed to comply with a right on red turn.

This is one where the insurance company will take their pound of flesh.

Post a Reply