gbs

by: gbs on

argyll wrote:Yes it does. Any minor tickets count. Basically he's decided that he's not willing to go from 5 to 1 ticket so he's picked one of the little ones. You either fight them all or live with the offer.

I asked about the - not having insurance slip in the car .... affecting insurance .... the prosecutor couldn't speak to that .. said he didn't know. The fine for that one is 50, he said. He referred to it as a paper ticket of little real concern .. (assuming of course you do have insurance, which I do)

On the disclosure document it is written as :

CAIA 3(1) Fail to surrender insurance card ...

I don't know, what the CAIA means, I assume it's Canadian auto insurance act. Not a HTA offense.

----

Also, it seemed like they were being more lenient for that particular stretch of road, there were 6 that I heard, that was in that particular area.

iFly55

Posting Awards

by: iFly55 on

HTA and CAIA convictions will affect your insurance premiums; prosecutor and officer can/will lie through their teeth about the insurance effects of convictions.

Take a look at the IBC brochure: http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf

For multi-charges like the one you're facing; I would recommend accepting the plea-deal. Getting convicted of everything except the insurance, will make you uninsurable for the next 3 years... unless you're willing to pay +$10k/yr for facility insurance.

+40kph and an insurance card will increase your insurance, but not enough to cancel your policy. Also keep in mind your insurance company won't necessarily run an insurance check. If you ask for a letter, this may raise a red flag... but you'll have to face the music sooner or later.

You'll have to be a super careful driver for the next 3 years; generally 3 minor convictions in a 3 year window will result in a policy cancellation amongst major insurance companies (ie. State Farm).

gbs

iFly55 wrote:HTA and CAIA convictions will affect your insurance premiums; prosecutor and officer can/will lie through their teeth about the insurance effects of convictions.

Take a look at the IBC brochure: http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... FAQ-ON.pdf

For multi-charges like the one you're facing; I would recommend accepting the plea-deal. Getting convicted of everything except the insurance, will make you uninsurable for the next 3 years... unless you're willing to pay +$10k/yr for facility insurance.

+40kph and an insurance card will increase your insurance, but not enough to cancel your policy. Also keep in mind your insurance company won't necessarily run an insurance check. If you ask for a letter, this may raise a red flag... but you'll have to face the music sooner or later.

You'll have to be a super careful driver for the next 3 years; generally 3 minor convictions in a 3 year window will result in a policy cancellation amongst major insurance companies (ie. State Farm).

The brochure was helpful ... the "not having insurance card in vehicle" is mentioned specifically in the document as minor conviction. I will try on next court appearance to get the prosecutor to remove that charge as well. Once I have proof of insurance via letter requested, he may be a little more agreeable ... it's hypothetical until I have documents as requested. But not something I will push for, just mention it.

The prosecutor I am dealing with is an older gentleman, who doesn't seem to have an axe to grind or anything to prove. That works well for me.

Ontarioracer91

by: Ontarioracer91 on

gbs

Ontarioracer91 wrote:Before seeking a legal rep, read some facts about you charge and what you could be facing, but more importantly, what you're LIKELY to be facing, those are 2 very different things, check out this blog:

http://www.mglegalservices.com/#!Stunt- ... 0269b14c7b

And this company is pretty good to get a free consultation at least about your ticket - here their main site:

http://www.mglegalservices.com/

I did look at the links you provided ...

From my understanding, a stunt charge that's speed based (even if just over), at best would only be reduced to a speeding charge ... even if you managed to get the stunt element removed or contested successfully. I was thinking if charged with stunt, they either have to convict on stunt or drop all charges. I don't think that is really the case though ... seems like stunt driving charge is still being defined in the courts at some level. ----

In any case, they stated a willingness to drop the charge to speeding anyway.. the real cost so for was impoundment/license 7 day thing and the costs for working around that. That costs is not recoverable anyway, so there really isn't anything to fight for at this point. -- Far as I'm concerned the police/govt stole that money .... I think they are confused about the differences between democracy and dictatorship.

Post a Reply