A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

bobajob

Posting Awards

Re: Validation Improperly Affixed

by: bobajob on

oh I get it, the regulation changed i.e. the law, not what they put on the instructions

bend wrote:
bobajob wrote:ooh let me go re-read mine

The vehicle validation sheet you get from ServiceOntario with the two stickers remains the same. It'll still give you instructions to place the one sticker on the back of the permit, and then instructions for the plate sticker on personal/commercial vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------
* NO you cant touch your phone
* Speeding is speeding
* Challenge every ticket
* Impaired driving, you should be locked up UNDER the jail
Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Observer135 wrote:I seen to recall for similar type of offences police had the discretion of giving 48 hours grace period to the driver to bring proof to the police station and he/she would cancel the ticket, if not, the ticket would stand and driver would have deal with it in court. I don't think this is happening any more, no idea why, but if you ask me, it was a great way to weed out innocent people from having to go to court and tie up the system.

There was never any actual law or regulation providing a grace period, it was something officers would simply do (and still do). Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated now due to e-ticketing. It's a very good system in that it simplifies the ticket submission process and speeds up disclosure, but tickets are now automatically filed to the Courts. The officer no longer has a means of holding onto the ticket for a few days prior to submitting it. Realistically though for this offence, I can't see many officers giving you a grace period anyways. Either they believe your sticker was stolen, etc. or they don't. In my experience it was always pretty easy to tell if the sticker had been ripped off a plate or not.

Observer135

Posting Awards

by: Observer135 on

Stanton wrote: There was never any actual law or regulation providing a grace period, it was something officers would simply do (and still do). Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated now due to e-ticketing. It's a very good system in that it simplifies the ticket submission process and speeds up disclosure, but tickets are now automatically filed to the Courts. The officer no longer has a means of holding onto the ticket for a few days prior to submitting it. Realistically though for this offence, I can't see many officers giving you a grace period anyways. Either they believe your sticker was stolen, etc. or they don't. In my experience it was always pretty easy to tell if the sticker had been ripped off a plate or not.

I realize there was never such a thing as a grace period as far as the law is concerned, the officer was doing this just to be nice (that's my view anyway), it was up to the officer to make the decision, I had no idea they still do this, I have not heard of it in so long I thought it was no longer an option.

Would you mind elaborating on the e-ticket part of your comment? Are you saying that as soon as the ticket is issued a copy is transmitted directly to the court?

I'm curious how the mechanics of e-ticket works especially when it comes to officer's notes, it seems the notes are made on the terminal in the cruiser and no notebook is in use anymore.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

My knowledge of e-tickets is limited and Im not sure how standardized the system is across the Province. My general understanding is that while its not instantaneous, e-tickets are automatically sent to the Court offices each weekday. For e-notes, officers would enter them after having issued a ticket. The notes are associated to a specific ticket and once submitted they become "locked" and can no longer be changed. Officers can add additional supplementary notes if needed, but each set of notes would be time stamped.

Post a Reply