A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

lawmen

Ontario's Finest

by: lawmen on

How come we don't hear about cases like this in the main stream media?

http://www.canlii.org/en/on/onca/doc/20 ... ca756.html

Justice T.M. Dunnet should be fired.

John Feeney, Thomas Findlay, Kamaljeet Kang & Jeffrey Martin all work for the Toronto Police Service. Chances are they don't even lose their jobs.

The respondents unleashed a vicious assault on a prisoner who had spilled juice on one of their fellow court officers. Feeney, the supervisor, asked for "volunteers" and held a short meeting. He then led a group of court officers, including the other three respondents, to the victims cell. The victim was handcuffed from behind and shackled. When he refused to clean up the juice he was knocked to the ground and beaten.

In the ensuing assault, the victim was kicked in the face, given flying kicks, and punched in the back and face. In addition, the victim was grabbed by his bound hands and legs and his body was used as a mop to wipe the juice from the floor. The trial judge found that the respondents attempted to cover up their involvement and that they falsified reports.

They were sentenced to conditional sentences ranging between 45 and 90 days plus 6 months probation and 50 hours of community service.

The now have to serve an additional sentence. Feeney 60 days; Findlay 60 days; Martin 45 days and .Kang 30 days.

Without Justice there's JUST US
Proper1

by: Proper1 on

lawmen wrote:How come we don't hear about cases like this in the main stream media?

The Globe and Mail and Toronto Star (among others) both carried the story on November 10, as did CBC news. It went out on the CP wire in both languages at 1:01 p.m. Eastern that day.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

This kind of stuff should never ever happen.

Unfortunately employees like this are in every profession and taint/discredit/disgrace peoples thoughts on the remainder of the employees.

A few people come to mind that taint their profession.

Football: Michal Vick

Singer: Michael Jackson

Baseball: Barry Bonds

Mayor: Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick

US Senator Larry Craig

etc..

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
alexo

by: alexo on

Hello Bear,

There is a rant coming. I will try to keep it short and civil but make no mistake, I feel very strongly about it.

hwybear wrote:This kind of stuff should never ever happen.

Unfortunately employees like this are in every profession and taint/discredit/disgrace peoples thoughts on the remainder of the employees.

I respectfully disagree.

Did the "remainder of the employees" publicly denounced the offenders and demanded harsh punishments for them, including getting them kicked out of the "profession", permanently?

No?

Then you should not be surprised when the populace has as much trust and respect for the "profession" as they have for the local charter of the Hell's Angels.

hwybear wrote:A few people come to mind that taint their profession.

Football: Michal Vick

Singer: Michael Jackson

Baseball: Barry Bonds

Mayor: Detroit Mayor Kilpatrick

US Senator Larry Craig

Neither of these people was equipped by the state with a baton, a tazer, a gun and a license to use them to inflict violence upon the citizenry.

I have no problem with a group of people being granted such power but only as long as the consequences of abusing it will far outweigh any benefits that can be derived from such action.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

Alexo....did not take that offensive or upsetting. I see your view. There are reasons behind what you mention and not what you might think.

Also have to admit there are bad apples in every job thou.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
alexo

by: alexo on

Hello Bear,

hwybear wrote:Alexo....did not take that offensive or upsetting.

It was not meant to be.

hwybear wrote:I see your view. There are reasons behind what you mention and not what you might think.

Then please educate me.

hwybear wrote:Also have to admit there are bad apples in every job thou.

True. However, the barrel is judged by the actions of the good apples when they discover the presence of bad apples among them.

If they let them stay, the rot spreads.

Things usually start small but if nobody is willing to come forward and say STOP, we may eventually get this.

Why am i telling you this? Because I'm a stupid optimist that, despite ample evidence to the contrary, still believes in decent human beings doing the right thing when given a choice. I also believe that a change that comes from the inside usually works better. So the next time you see a bad apple in your barrel, think of my expectations weighing on your karma.

Best wishes,

Alexo

Last edited by alexo on Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Should I move this thread to Law Enforcement category? (Police Firearms and Less-Lethal Equipment?)

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
lawmen

by: lawmen on

Move it if you wish, racer

Without Justice there's JUST US
Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

I also believe that a change that comes from the inside usually works better.

Maybe the other officers denounced them but we aren't hearing about it. Then again maybe I'm being too optimistic as well. Everyone's had bad apples where they work, as Bear said. One well-publicized, very embarassing incident for my company resulted in plenty of my co-workers howling to nail the offenders to the wall, but none of that was made public, to think of an example.

Flip side. An example of an officer over-stepping his bounds is in this story here. Long story short: Cop loses his temper (granted it was after a very trying day), socks a drunk in the head, other officer tells him it's wrong, cop is turned in. Lost his job for discreditable conduct and unlawful exercise of authority, appealed it, lost again. (Warning: Long read.)

http://www.occps.ca/files/8D1620082V104 ... 0651Q5.pdf

And this one, which relates to the HTA. (Again a long read):

http://www.occps.ca/files/8V0020071N093 ... 9I07PH.pdf

Officers denounced the inappropriate behaviour of the bad apples amongst them but it was not readily apparent to the public. Actually in both cases it was police officers who imposed the initial penalties of dismissal, subsequently upheld by the OCCPS. Those are two examples, among many.

Doesn't justify, nullify or mitigate what happened to the guy who spilled juice and got severely beaten, but at least it's not all one way.

Post a Reply