A speeding traffic ticket is subject to section 128 of the Highway Traffic Act.
downahill

69 In A 50 Downhill.

by: downahill on

so got fined with 69km in a 50km, at bottom of hill...didn't even have foot on the gas. first ticket ever in over 10 years of driving. fine was 62$ and 3 points.

cop says take to court and get demerit points reduced. didn't even let me speak and walks away.

what to do>? most everyone goes 20km over speed limit, I doubt I was even at 69km for a second.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

Posted speeds are regardless of whether you are going downhill or uphill. Plea not guilty and get disclosure or have a first attendance meeting if they are offered and see if you can get it reduced to 15 over.

downahill

well, you can't have 20km over be fine one day, the next not (especially on hills) just because you need to make a quota. If you can't catch actual speeders(40-60kms over) then retire. Don't penalize people trying to get to work in the morning.

mnstrcck

by: mnstrcck on

It's pretty simple downahill. If the sign reads 50, you have to be going 50. It's up to the Officer to decide whether he's going to be pulling you over, or continuing on to more important matters. But most definitely, 20 over is NOT "fine".

I drive the speed limit in urban areas [especially, as there's a lot of potential risks involved in speeding there] every day and still manage to make it to work on time.

downahill

it is fine for people who actually drive regularly. 401? everyone does 120 in 100, 80km highways, everyone does 100km. 60? everyone does 80. 50? everyone does 70. I guess you havent driven much. Everyone drives 20 over(even police officers)...which I wasn't even doing.

I pretty much never get to work on time. People sit at turn signal traffic lights completely oblivious to the green turn signal where the whole point is to wait for the turn signal since the lanes are always backed up and their reaction time is 4-5 seconds to realise they can turn. Drivers speed up and down constantly for no reason, block intersections and turn openings.

Then when someone passes them, they freak out saying he's driving way too fast. yea, driving to get away from these awful drivers.

OPS Copper

by: OPS Copper on

So 60 in a 40 school zone is fine? You did say 20 over was fine.

Just because a cop does not pull you over does not make it fine contrary to what you think.

Not everyone gets a ticket when they are stopped. Perhaps your attitude convinced the cop that he should not exercise any discretion.

Your always late for work...Simple solution. Leave earlier.

I cannot wait until you try that argument in court.

OPS

mnstrcck

by: mnstrcck on

Downahill, I'm very aware of the large variation of driving etiquette out on the roads. Using the argument that "everyone else is doing it" is not an effective strategy in the eyes of the law.

Speeding in urban areas is a dangerous gamble. Especially during warm weather at dusk when kids/pedestrians can crop out of seemingly nowhere to jaywalk, or someone has to suddenly stop in front of you. Your stopping distance is drastically affected. Here's an example, using dry asphalt as the surface:

50km/h - 14.05 Metres to stop

60km/h - 20.24 Metres to stop

70km/h - 27.55 Metres to stop

20km over means twice as much stopping distance required. You can play around with the calculator here: http://forensicdynamics.com/stopping-di ... calculator

downahill

yea, 60 in 40 is fine. not in a school zone, I never said that. so check YOUR attitude.

actually the cop weas so ignorant he wouldn't even let me speak. he was getting his quota obviously so he could go home early.

simple solution, I already leave earlier. leaving half hour for work, to go 10kms is a problem. the other drivers who have no awareness are the problem. not me going 10-15km over the limit. 19 down a hill.

you seem to have quite an attitude, i guess you pull people over a lot and don't like when people question you being terrible at your job. how about some effort to catch actual speeders. funny infact, I was walking back to work the other day near a police station and a cop was going at least 20km over. school nearby even.

in anycase, Im done with this forum and as its filled with ignorant people like OPS Copper who think they know everything.

Post a Reply

Return to “Exceeding the speed limit by 16 to 29 km/h”