CumminsDiesel

Too Many Points All Of A Sudden

by: CumminsDiesel on

I'm in a bit of a pickle and hope you generous folks don't mind shedding some light

on my situation.

I have an Ontario driver's license . I've recently received a rash of

tickets 4 of them over the last 12 months or so.

If my trials don't go well I could end up with a suspended license. My

trials are scheduled in a 3 months. I'm moving to PEI in about 2

weeks. As of right now my record shows 0 convictions. I will bet

getting my Ontario G license exchanged when I move to PEI for a PEI

license.

Ordinarily upon conviction of all 4 tickets I would have my Ontario

license suspended. The number of points I could gain is enough to have

my Ontario license suspended. However ,if I'm convicted, I will be

holding a CLEAN PEI license .

What could happen at that stage?

I've been driving for 17 years and before this year I have received 3 other tickets many years ago. Never had any suspensions or serious violations(dui, suspensions, etc).

The worst ticket I have received this year was going down a hill in a 50 zone.

Thank you,

Mike B

hwybear

Posting Awards

by: hwybear on

CumminsDiesel wrote: As of right now my record shows 0 convictions.

You will have 3 convictions on your record right now. (as you indicated in your post). The records do not "go away". It is simply that insurance only goes back "X" number of years and points are only for 2 yrs.

of all 4 tickets I would have my Ontario license suspended. The number of points I could gain is enough to have

my Ontario license suspended. However ,if I'm convicted, I will be holding a CLEAN PEI license .

Ontario has a recipricol agreement with PEI. In other words when someone gets a ticket in PEI and holds an Ontario license it will be added to the Ontario licence diring history and vice versa. Having said that, I don't know if getting a licence in PEI, does the Ontario licence history transfer over.

Now pending what happens at court. Fines and/or demerit points.

Just have to ensure if it is a fine that the fine is taken care of, if it is not, courts notify MTO and you become a suspended driver in Ontario (even with a valid PEI licence) until the fine is resolved.

Demerit points will go off the Ontario licence, 2yrs after the offence date.

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
viper1

by: viper1 on

I agree with HWYBEAR on this.

Pay all fines.

You could fight them through an agent just to extend the time factor.(then pay)

That could take up to 11 months. Leaving just 13 months to hope you quit speeding.

Or have the agent fight the one most likely to win if it keeps you below the point mark.

Cheers

Viper1

"hang onto your chair when reading my posts
use at your own risk"
mnstrcck

by: mnstrcck on

CumminsDiesel wrote:Hi Everyone!

(Mississauga court house near square 1)

I filed a disclosure request form yesterday just before the 9 weeks deadline. I made the mistake of using their form =( and handing it in in person

Can I still rectify this?

Your thoughts on this are very appreciated!

Mike B

Mike,

I can't find the form on their website, looks like they might not have them up. Either way, no need to worry about it. Give it four weeks [even if disclosure is provided] and follow up with another disclosure request you've crafted. Good examples can be found on the ticketcombat website and elsewhere. Make sure your request focuses on actual evidence relevant to your defense [ie typed notes, video evidence, etc. etc].

Also, surf around on CanLii for cases involving your offenses so you can get an idea of what strategies to use. And most importantly, which arguments will not work. Good luck!

Post a Reply