Harper77

Lic Suspended Due To Unpaid Fine

by: Harper77 on

So this am I got nabbed by a cop. I KNOW he had one of those scans that quickly runs your license plate for unpaid fees, amber alerts, etc.

Anyways, I had a fine of $160 due to speeding in Cornwall that was due May 25. My fault - I totally forgot, got caught up with work, life, blah blah. He took my license away, gave me a pink slip telling me it was suspended until the fine is paid.

As soon as I got to work this am, I called the court office, paid the ticket in full.

NOW, apparently I have to wait at least 3 days before I can even go to a license office to get my license back! WTF!!

My ques is this - if my car is plated under my name and my wifes car is under her name - would it be better if we switched cars for the next 3 days until I get it re-instated? Her record is clear.

I cannot believe it! I feel like a common criminal - I have always followed the rules, never done anything and now this!! How the hell am i to get to work if I can't drive?

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

I don't think anyone on this board is going to condone you driving until you're licenced again. While your fines may now be paid, until your licence is reinstated it's still illegal for you to operate a motor vehicle. You never know when/what you'll get pulled over for, regardless of who the vehicle is registered to.

I'm not sure if you'd be now be considered unlicensed or still suspended. If you're still suspended, you're looking at the following:

Minimum $1,000 fine

Possible arrest and imprisonment

Additional 6 month licence suspension

7 day vehicle impoundment

Increased insurance rates (probably double)

If you're just unlicenced, you'd still be looking at a $325 total fine plus having your vehicle towed and impounded.

Either way, I wouldn't take the chance.

Radar Identified

by: Radar Identified on

Um... if your licence has not been re-instated, don't drive.

If you get caught driving a second time with a suspended licence in a short period of time, the Prosecutor could very well seek a jail sentence. (Not completely likely, but why chance it?)

* The above is NOT legal advice. By acting on anything I have said, you assume responsibility for any outcome and consequences. *
http://www.OntarioTicket.com OR http://www.OHTA.ca
Harper77

Yup - after some serious thought not gonna risk it - just gonna get the Duchess (wife) to drive me.

I do have to say though that the process of suspended for a 3 days EVEN AFTER you have paid the fines AND having to pay $150 to get the license re-instated is a complete joke and cash-grab. Is the province this broke that it has to track down ppl for unpaid fines? WTF?! Whatever happened to having to pay it before you re-new your license.

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

WTF?! Whatever happened to having to pay it before you re-new your license.

They still use that system to collect unpaid parking tickets and HWY 407 tolls when you renew the vehicle plate every one or two years. Most fines issued under the HTA are to the driver so the suspension system is needed. It helps keep habitual offenders off the road and encourages people to pay their fines when they know that they could be stopped at anytime.

The old system for unpaid parking tickets was to use a warrant of committal. If you had $500 in unpaid fines and got stopped, you either paid it on the spot or spent 7 days in jail! It certainly was a shocker to some people!

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

by: Simon Borys on

Harper77 wrote:I do have to say though that the process of suspended for a 3 days EVEN AFTER you have paid the fines AND having to pay $150 to get the license re-instated is a complete joke and cash-grab.

Just to clarify this, you're not actually suspended during this time. Once you pay off your fines with the court, you are no longer suspended. At that time your licence reverts to "unlicenced" status, same as if it had just expired. The MTO may want you to wait 3 days until you can get your licence reactivated (back to "licenced" status), but that's not a continuation of your suspension.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
Harper77

Harper77 wrote:I do have to say though that the process of suspended for a 3 days EVEN AFTER you have paid the fines AND having to pay $150 to get the license re-instated is a complete joke and cash-grab.

Just to clarify this, you're not actually suspended during this time. Once you pay off your fines with the court, you are no longer suspended. At that time your licence reverts to "unlicenced" status, same as if it had just expired. The MTO may want you to wait 3 days until you can get your licence reactivated (back to "licenced" status), but that's not a continuation of your suspension.[/quote]

What I really cannot get my around is I was told it takes 2-5 days before the license can be released to be re-instated. The reason the MTO told me: due to software upload/downloads of any changes. :x

Is this 2011 or 1981? In the world of computers, instant uploads, etc - they are saying it takes 2-5 days? Must be being done by carrier pigeon.

Oh and lets not forget the further cash-grab of $150 to get it back!!!! :?

Decatur

Posting Awards

by: Decatur on

You're actually lucky you got stopped when you did and all you got was a suspension notice. After 7 days of a suspension being valid you are "deemed served" your notice by the Ministry to the last address they have on file for you. Any time after that 7 days and you would have been charged with driving under suspension and still had to pay the outstanding fine, $150 to the MTO and show up in court for the drive while suspended charge.

Harper77

Decatur wrote:You're actually lucky you got stopped when you did and all you got was a suspension notice. After 7 days of a suspension being valid you are "deemed served" your notice by the Ministry to the last address they have on file for you. Any time after that 7 days and you would have been charged with driving under suspension and still had to pay the outstanding fine, $150 to the MTO and show up in court for the drive while suspended charge.

WOW - never knew that.

Why are the rules so strict, esp for ppl that have obeyed the laws all their life and done nothing wrong except get a ticket on trip back from Mtl. Why not treat the addicts and dealers like this.

Post a Reply