Utility Trailer Plate

A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, hwybear, Reflections, admin, Decatur, bend

applegrower

Utility Trailer Plate

Unread post by applegrower »

I received a "summons to court" with no fine listed for pulling a trailer that belongs to my brother. The officer said the trailer plate was unregistered and was illegally on the trailer and seized it. This trailer was homemade and registered in 1972 and the attached plates have been on it since then. I was not carrying the ownership, my brother also no longer can find the ownership. I went to try replace the ownership at the MTO and they also said the plate is not registered and should therefore not exist but it does. So how do I proceed?

Simon Borys
VIP
VIP

Unread post by Simon Borys »

Since the trailer is home made, it has no VIN. Therefore, if the ownership can not be found, the owner of the trailer will need to get it registered at the MTO and get a new ownership and plates.

As to the charge, if the crown is insistent on proceeding, you may be able to use a due diligence offence. Also, I can tell you that in my experience (in the jurisdiction I used to work in), the actual fine imposed by the JP in court on a conviction for "unauthorized plates" was regularly $100.

NOTHING I SAY ON HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE.
hwybear

Posting Awards

Unread post by hwybear »

If the trailer with load is over 1,360kgs it is mandatory to have a VIN - don't know how to do that thou

A side note for other readers - it is mandatory to carry and be able to surrender the permit (ownership) for the trailer upon request (even borrowing a neighbours trailer)

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
applegrower

Unread post by applegrower »

Yes I understand I was wrong in not carrying the ownership but how is it that the MTO can not reissue a copy of the original document when the trailer plate does exist?

ditchMD

Unread post by ditchMD »

Trailers have ownership papers? Whodda known.....