A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

hwybear

Posting Awards

Case Law Conversion

by: hwybear on

On CanLLII site .... I have found recent cases I want to read, but they were all in french? Does anyone know how to flip the case over to english. I tried the english/french things at top, but did not work.

thanks

Bear

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
lawmen

by: lawmen on

I bet you're referring to some s. 172 cases, eh?

I tried them a week ago but no English version was provided. I then tried a French English online translator but that didn't work out either. I know those cases were to be heard this week. I'll be interested in reading them as well, if someone can translate them. And if that's what cases you're even referring, too.

Without Justice there's JUST US
racer
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: racer on

Speaking of French

We are starting a new website that will be a free "help-yourself-learn-French" forum, with tutorials at www.learningfrench.ca. Hope it will go up within 2 weeks. It will be free both as in beer and as in freedom of speech (sans swear words).

"The more laws, the less justice" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"The hardest thing to explain is the obvious"

www.OHTA.ca & www.OntarioHighwayTrafficAct.com
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

hwybear wrote:On CanLLII site .... I have found recent cases I want to read, but they were all in french? Does anyone know how to flip the case over to english. I tried the english/french things at top, but did not work.

thanks

Bear

Le site CanLLII .... J'ai trouv© r©cemment des cas, je veux lire, mais ils ©taient tous en fran§ais? Est-ce que quelqu'un sait comment retourner le dossier   l'anglais. J'ai essay© le fran§ais / anglais choses au d©but, mais il n'a pas de travail.

merci

Supporter

http://translate.google.com/translate_t#

Even trade, linkage back please :)

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
hwybear

Posting Awards

racer wrote: It will be free both as in beer and as in freedom of speech (sans swear words).

Only two words that I read :lol:

Above is merely a suggestion/thought and in no way constitutes legal advice or views of my employer. www.OHTA.ca
hwybear

Posting Awards

lawmen wrote:I bet you're referring to some s. 172 cases, eh?

yep! We have had 2 decisions come through our internal email at work, but not those ones.

ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

R. c. v. Hall-Moreau, 2008 ONCJ 576
R. c. v. Bellefeuille, 2008 ONCJ 575

It may not be perfect but the translation is pretty good. Basically two French cases with guilty pleas. Both trial justices ruled that there was no evidence of another vehicle so the defendants cannot be guilty of being in a race or contest.

The Crown tried to appeal based on the new definition of "race" that does not require two vehicles. But the goofs wrote the appeals in English. Justice Renaud would not consider the appeals on their merits. He ruled that the appeals should be written in French as the accused might be found guilty on appeal and need to understand what's going on. He gave the Crown a bit of time to write the appeals in French otherwise the acquittals stand.

------------------------------------

(still expecting a free beer!)

Fight Your Ticket!
BelSlySTi

by: BelSlySTi on

T.C

I will gladly buy you a few pints, if you take me down the street for some nasty Vindaloo!

Deal?

[img]http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l352/toastedwhitebread/Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg[/img]
ticketcombat

by: ticketcombat on

Now that sounds like a plan. Although I'm not sure where to get the vindaloo. It doesn't appear on the menus that often but I may not have noticed it (I'm an AYCE buffet boy myself).

But if it's merciless spice you want then Lahore Tikka House is a great bet. And Kama on King has a solid buffet.

Fight Your Ticket!
Post a Reply