Soliciting rides prohibited - 177.
(1) No person, while on the roadway, shall solicit a ride from the driver of a motor vehicle other than a public passenger conveyance. 1999, c. 8, s. 7 (1).
Soliciting business prohibited
(2) No person, while on the roadway, shall stop, attempt to stop or approach a motor vehicle for the purpose of offering, selling or providing any commodity or service to the driver or any other person in the motor vehicle. 1999, c. 8, s. 7 (1).
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to the offer, sale or provision of towing or repair services or any other commodity or service, in an emergency. 1999, c. 8, s. 7 (1).
Permitted fund-raising by charities
(3.1) Subsection (2) does not apply to fund-raising activities that meet the following conditions:
1. They are conducted by a charitable organization registered under the Income Tax Act (Canada) on a roadway where the maximum speed limit is 50 kilometres per hour.
2. They are permitted by a by-law of the municipality in which the activities are conducted. 2005, c. 32, s. 2.
Penalty for contravention of subs. (2)
(4) Every person who contravenes subsection (2) is guilty of an offence and is liable,
(a) on a first conviction, to a fine of not more than $500; and
(b) on each subsequent conviction, to a fine of not more than $1,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 1999, c. 8, s. 7 (1).
s. 171 (tow truck services) not affected
(5) Nothing in this section affects the operation of section 171. 1999, c. 8, s. 7 (1).
- Similar Topics
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests