PatrickE

47km Over The Speeding Limit Scared Of What's Going To Happen To My Insurance.

by: PatrickE on

I was clocked going 147km on the highway today and it looks like the cop gave me the maximum ticket possible. He was pretty rude and aggressive and definitely wasn't practicing social distancing. In my defense I was coming down a steep hill that I was unfamiliar with and I've been quarantined for weeks now.

My insurance will literally be destroyed by this ticket because of the demerit points. Is there anyway to get the ticket dismissed? What are my options?

PatrickE

by: PatrickE on

As mentioned in the title - I was "clocked" going 147km/h on the QEW at Eastport. Wasn't familiar with the decline and area, and admittedly there weren't too many cars around and it has been a very very stressful week for me between having Co-vid for 2 weeks and trying to graduate on time. I don't normally drive at that speed and I have no prior tickets (haven't even been pulled over).

I'll preface this with genuine remorse, I understand I was driving too fast and have really learned my lesson.

I saw the cop before he pulled me over, checked my speedometer and immediately tried to slow down. Cop came up right behind me (no lights) I tried to slow down to a reasonable speed of 100km but it looked like he was really close to me and I thought it might become a bigger issue if my braking caused him to slam into the back of my car. (he said I was still going 138km/h). Lights came on I immediately pulled over to the right shoulder. Gathered my license, registration and ownership. He came to my driver's window and started yelling at me and for some reason my mom. He asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said I did not intend to gain so much speed and I tried to apologize and explain that I unfamiliar with the area and nervous with being pulled over. He continued to yell at me and say I could have killed people and that he clocked me going 147km/h and when I slowed down I was still going 138km/h. I stayed quiet at this point and after some more yelling about slowing down he took my information and issued the ticket. He did not give me reduced ticket or anything which is fine he was understandably passionate about driving the speed limit.

My question is about my options and outcome likelihood.

I will not pick option 1 under any circumstance.

Under option 2 (early resolution), what are the chances my ticket will be reduced and what can I expect during the meeting?

If I take it to trial - what can I expect and should I hire someone?

In terms of disclosure what should I be looking for in the notes?

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

PatrickE wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:00 pm

My insurance will literally be destroyed by this ticket because of the demerit points. Is there anyway to get the ticket dismissed? What are my options?

Your options are listed on your ticket.

If you're looking for a reduced charge, that will likely be made available to you. Best case would probably be 29km over.

Your insurance provider does not calculate demerit points. They count convictions.

If you want to opt for a trial, you can do that too. You'll go to the courthouse and they'll give you a Notice of Intention to Appear form to fill out. After that, you'll wait for them to send you your Notice of Trial with your court date attached. At that point, it's recommended you make a disclosure request. There is no standard for disclosure forms. You can make your own or you can use one provided. Most courts will offer you their own version of the form. They are almost always available online.

Keep in mind all of your arguments so far are irrelevant.

As mentioned, provincial courts have been suspended. You'll have to check your courts website on how and when you can proceed.

Post a Reply