Failing to obey a stop sign - Highway Traffic Act section 136(1).
smp

Bicycle - Can I Reverse This Ticket?

by: smp on

So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

diehard

by: diehard on

smp wrote:So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

Was it a red light camera ticket?

If you plead guilty then you're getting a conviction, even with 0 demerit points and paying a reduced fine.

If your insurance company checks MTO records during policy renewal and sees that conviction, then they may increase your rates.

smp

by: smp on

diehard wrote:
smp wrote:So I just got a shock from the insurance company, what would have been a rate of $180/month is now 380/month because of a red light ticket I got on my bicycle in 2009. Now, I took it to court. When I was there I specifically asked if I would get demerit points and if it would affect my insurance, the answer was no. So, they lied? I pled guilty to a reduced fine and paid. If I had known i would have gotten a damn lawyer and faught tooth and nail. This is 2400/year. A lawyer would have cost me less. Is there anything I can do?

Was it a red light camera ticket?

If you plead guilty then you're getting a conviction, even with 0 demerit points and paying a reduced fine.

If your insurance company checks MTO records during policy renewal and sees that conviction, then they may increase your rates.

Not a red light ticket.

Yes, this is what happened, they increased by more than two-fold! I have an otherwise clean record and I am 32.

diehard

by: diehard on

smp wrote:er, correction: not a red light CAMERA ticket

Yeah, in that case you got a conviction and your insurance company found out.

Now you'll have to wait three years.

Do some shopping upon policy renewal.

Johnson Inc. has very good rates, call them.

Post a Reply