Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

       
    

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

driving to US - questions
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:13 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
Planning on going to the US (NY from TO) for about a week, next year;
so some questions and points,

1> Do I need to get special cover from my insurance
2> My car speedo is in KM's , would it help to put a couple of stickers to note where the MPH limits are
3> IF I get a ticket, do I have to go back to NY, to deal with it?
4> If I ignore it can I be extradited or fined here
5> Is any ticket reciprocal to here, so would my insurance company know from my abstract
6> any case of an issue, could I be asked to give-up my drivers licence to an LEO over there

Any other hints would help

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:12 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 589
1) No
2) Why? If is analog, there should be a MPH scale on it. If digital, you should be able to change it to MPH
3) Yes
4) and 5) topic4956.html
6) You certainly could be, just like in Ontario


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:20 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
ok txs, very helpful,

no my car is analog and only marked in km's it does have cruise control, so I can set it in km or mph,
but it doesnt show, only when setting the disappears

6> would they give me a slip or something, as I would need to get home etc, I suppose if I have to surrender here it a lot less of an issue,

txs

Decatur wrote:
1) No
2) Why? If is analog, there should be a MPH scale on it. If digital, you should be able to change it to MPH
3) Yes
4) and 5) topic4956.html
6) You certainly could be, just like in Ontario


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:31 am
Posts: 589
If they take your licence and keep it, it's for a reason like Impaired charges etc and you wouldn't be able to drive anyway. At a road side stop they may take it back to their car, just like here.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:18 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
ahh ok cool,
I'm planning on being a good boy anyway......... txs again appreciate it


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:32 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 617
bobajob wrote:
ahh ok cool,
I'm planning on being a good boy anyway......... txs again appreciate it


Good plan........doing something to get your licence seized out of your home area becomes very expensive. I pulled over an American who was traveling far in excess of the speed limit. I told him his car was being impounded for 7 days to which he said he needed to get home so he would have to rent a car. The news was then delivered that his licence was gone for 7 days as well. After a cab to Toronto, a flight home, a flight back, a cab to claim his licence and pick up his car it was a very expensive day for him.

I drive VERY carefully when out of province !

_________________
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:03 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
YIKES !
well bringing mrs.bobajob, so hopefully we wount be so screwed ; lolz
txs again bruv

argyll wrote:
bobajob wrote:
ahh ok cool,
I'm planning on being a good boy anyway......... txs again appreciate it


Good plan........doing something to get your licence seized out of your home area becomes very expensive. I pulled over an American who was traveling far in excess of the speed limit. I told him his car was being impounded for 7 days to which he said he needed to get home so he would have to rent a car. The news was then delivered that his licence was gone for 7 days as well. After a cab to Toronto, a flight home, a flight back, a cab to claim his licence and pick up his car it was a very expensive day for him.

I drive VERY carefully when out of province !


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:36 am 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 am
Posts: 54
Be particularly careful on the New York State Thruway if you will be using it. State Troopers have been stepping up enforcement in recent months. My wife was stopped on the Thruway outside Buffalo last year. We still get e-mails from the law firm we hired, and they keep warning of extra enforcement.

Ontario does have reciprocity with New York, so if you are convicted of speeding, you would receive demerit points as if you had been diving the same number of kilometres per hour over the speed limit in Ontario.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:55 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
k txs


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:55 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
actually rochester, via niagara, not NY NY


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:10 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 am
Posts: 54
Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

I find it difficult not to speed on that stretch. It's flat, wide, straight and boring. Thankfully, Rochester isn't far from Buffalo.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:35 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
txs buddy,
not sure of the route yet (going in April)
I have cruise control and use it often,
do 100 on the 401 plenty, despite pi$$ing off other LAW BIDING drivers ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:02 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:00 pm
Posts: 15
Zatota wrote:
Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

I find it difficult not to speed on that stretch. It's flat, wide, straight and boring. Thankfully, Rochester isn't far from Buffalo.


Years ago when Toronto began hauling its garbage down to the US we had multiple CMV clients who had been charged with infractions like being 2 mph over the speed limit. It was mostly just the State harassing the Canadian truck drivers and assuming that they wouldn't come back and would simply pay their fine. Unfortunately for CMV driver's their driving record relates to their employability and they have to seek out legal representation to on their behalf before the local court to contest the offence.

There are locations in the US where troopers have a direct payment system in their cruiser and a fee must be paid at roadside before you can leave. Failure to do so can result in an impounding of the vehicle. Not paying a fine in the US can lead to a technical driver's licence suspension for that jurisdiction for non-payment of fine where you can be stopped subsequently and quickly find yourself in a holding cell.

Aside from legal concerns. You may wish to ensure that you have sufficient medical insurance coverage while in the US in case of an accident or other issue requiring hospitalization.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: driving to US - questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 388
nice one otd ;)

OTD Legal wrote:
Zatota wrote:
Will you be using the Thruway between Buffalo and Rochester? If so, that's one of the most heavily patrolled sections. State Troopers do not give much leeway there. I've heard they'll pull drivers over at only 75 mph (120 km/h). You should probably stick to what the people with New York plates are doing. Also, if you see a lot of State Troopers with "customers" in the westbound lanes, you'll probably find a lot in the eastbound lanes too.

I find it difficult not to speed on that stretch. It's flat, wide, straight and boring. Thankfully, Rochester isn't far from Buffalo.


Years ago when Toronto began hauling its garbage down to the US we had multiple CMV clients who had been charged with infractions like being 2 mph over the speed limit. It was mostly just the State harassing the Canadian truck drivers and assuming that they wouldn't come back and would simply pay their fine. Unfortunately for CMV driver's their driving record relates to their employability and they have to seek out legal representation to on their behalf before the local court to contest the offence.

There are locations in the US where troopers have a direct payment system in their cruiser and a fee must be paid at roadside before you can leave. Failure to do so can result in an impounding of the vehicle. Not paying a fine in the US can lead to a technical driver's licence suspension for that jurisdiction for non-payment of fine where you can be stopped subsequently and quickly find yourself in a holding cell.

Aside from legal concerns. You may wish to ensure that you have sufficient medical insurance coverage while in the US in case of an accident or other issue requiring hospitalization.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Dangerous driving

kebin

2

699

Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:09 am

racer View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. More weird driving

Radar Identified

11

666

Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:33 pm

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving under suspension

c3kan

8

2730

Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:59 pm

OTTLegal View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving while under suspension

Oobie

14

1021

Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Oobie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Driving while under suspension

Rockyca

1

656

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:11 am

OTTLegal View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. driving while suspended. what can i do?

platuscord

10

2057

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26 pm

racer View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Driving Disqualified

Oobie

5

542

Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:22 pm

hwybear View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: