Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Ministry Interview
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:56 pm 

So I received a letter today saying that I need to meet with the Ministry to discuss my driving record. The standard 9 points interview letter. Currently, I have 4 points on my record, but I hit 9 in September (5 points expired that end of that month, and I got convicted of a 49 over which put me at 9). So what I'm trying to figure out is what happens at this meeting usually? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Ministry Interview
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:08 pm 
High Authority

I honestly have no idea how the meeting will go, but I hope you will share with us after it is done.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:27 pm 

From what I've heard, the Ministry official will chastise you for your record (especially since, if I read your original post correctly, you had five points expire but managed to replace them with five new points). He or she may also ask you to justify why you should be allowed to keep your licence.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:01 pm 

I went to one about 40 years ago.
You enter and the guy asks for your license, then asks you why you should get it back.
In my case I explained about getting a v8 car that was faster then I had been used to.
And as I could not afford any more tickets I would for sure go slower from now on.

In the next 40 years I have gotten only 1 speeding ticket so I guess the interview worked.

Cheers
Viper1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm 
High Authority

I have not looked thru the act on this myself, but just wondering where it says they can suspend your license at 9 points if they decide too?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:18 pm 

8. (1) If a person who is a fully licensed driver in Ontario in one or more licence classes or a person who is not a resident of Ontario has 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14 accumulated demerit points, the Registrar may require the person to attend an interview before a Ministry official and to provide information or other evidence to show cause why his or her driver’s licence should not be suspended. O. Reg. 339/94, s. 8 (1).

(2) The Minister may suspend or cancel the person’s driver’s licence,

(a) if the person fails to attend the required interview; or

(b) if the person does not comply with the Ministry’s requirements as a result of the interview; or

(c) if, in the Minister’s opinion, the person has not shown cause at the interview why the licence should not be suspended. O. Reg. 339/94, s. 8 (2); O. Reg. 204/10, s. 4.https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/940339

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:04 pm 

I attended one of these meetings 20 years ago. It was a humiliating experience. It was like driving school all over again.

There was a classroom environment with other 'bad' drivers from my area. We all learned about why we should stop driving like maniacs. It was really a rehab session for bad drivers.

If I recall correctly we all had to sign a document stating we would no longer behave so poorly on the roads but if we do we are entitled to the punishment that would come forthwith.

Suck up your humility and be humble. That's what I did.

BTW I never got another ticket for 20 years until recently. Maybe a little humiliation worked?