A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

Mike22

Use Of Intermittent Red Light

by: Mike22 on

Hello everyone, I run a volunteer response service and recently partnered with a patient transfer/event medical company. I occasionally come upon accidents and in-lane break downs and was told my unit can run reds (only when stopped) to bring attention for safety. Currently I only run amber/white on unit marked rear and sides with service crest. Local police are fully aware of what we do and we call in to advise when we are on-scene. I haven't found anything in the OHTA about using red when stopped. I know I can't when driving but is there an exemption for emergency safety perposes when stopped at an accident?

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

I believe you have been misinformed. There is no differentiation between stopped and moving...the Act simply says carry.

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

Use of flashing red lights

2. In addition to the vehicles listed in paragraphs 1 to 4 of subsection 62 (15.1) of the Act, the following are vehicles that may carry lamps that cast a red light to the front:

1. A Ministry of Revenue vehicle operated by a provincial offences officer designated under the Provincial Offences Act for the purposes of enforcing the Fuel Tax Act, the Gasoline Tax Act and the Tobacco Tax Act, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

2. An aviation and forest fire management vehicle operated by an officer designated under the Forest Fires Prevention Act, while the officer is responding to a fire or other emergency.

3. Revoked: O. Reg. 76/11, s. 2.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
EchoBravo205

by: EchoBravo205 on

I may be late to the party on this one, and pardon me for that; I'm new here.

The act doesn't "simply say carry," it says "cast a red light to the front"

My interpretation is that anything to the rear would be permissible by the Act, no?

argyll wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 am

I believe you have been misinformed. There is no differentiation between stopped and moving...the Act simply says carry.

Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front. 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (2).

Use of flashing red lights

2. In addition to the vehicles listed in paragraphs 1 to 4 of subsection 62 (15.1) of the Act, the following are vehicles that may carry lamps that cast a red light to the front:

1. A Ministry of Revenue vehicle operated by a provincial offences officer designated under the Provincial Offences Act for the purposes of enforcing the Fuel Tax Act, the Gasoline Tax Act and the Tobacco Tax Act, while the officer is in the course of his or her employment.

2. An aviation and forest fire management vehicle operated by an officer designated under the Forest Fires Prevention Act, while the officer is responding to a fire or other emergency.

3. Revoked: O. Reg. 76/11, s. 2.

All comments made here and elsewhere, both verbally and/or in print, are my own, and do not reflect the opinion of any department, agency or organization that I am or was associated with.
whaddyaknow

Posting Awards

by: whaddyaknow on

EchoBravo205 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:44 pm

My interpretation is that anything to the rear would be permissible by the Act, no?

To the rear shouldn't be a problem... your vehicle probably came from the factory with red flashing lights on the rear ;-)

EchoBravo205

Under the Act, only volunteer firefighters and volunteer medical first responders may use an intermittent green lamp while they are responding to an emergency.

Zatota wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:04 am

I believe volunteer response services are permitted to use intermittent green lights. I can look up the reference if needed.

All comments made here and elsewhere, both verbally and/or in print, are my own, and do not reflect the opinion of any department, agency or organization that I am or was associated with.
EchoBravo205

I thought so to, but I seem to recall an exemption for factory turn signals. I could be wrong though..

whaddyaknow wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:16 pm

To the rear shouldn't be a problem... your vehicle probably came from the factory with red flashing lights on the rear ;-)

Post a Reply