Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

swapping number plates question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:16 am 

so I want to put a change my existing number plate (with plate sticker) for a personalized one.
No rush, but trying to work out the best way to do this.

So
1: the existing plate has say (6 months of sticker left on it)

When I go to the vehicle center to get a new plate, what happens to the existing sticker on it?

* will I have to pay for a new sticker and wait for a refund to come through for the remainder?
* will they replace the sticker giving me a 6 month ending date?

If I am in the parking lot and remove the license plate to take to return it, could I get a ticket for not displaying a number plate/sticker?
(is it best to go in another car)

Would I be best to wait till I have to renew my sticker and get the new plate at the same time

When changing the plate do I have to do any other paperwork?
Do I have to notify anyone ?

------------------------------------

On getting a personalize plate has anyone had any experience of it?
I think you can't find out in advance if a plate is being used, but on the form you give them 3 choices that you want ?

Is it against forum rules or illegal to ask maybe someone in LEO can check for me offline if a personalized plate is in use;
(if I have a list of 3, just to save me some time) OR is there a website with known used plates

p.s. I do NOT want to break any laws, get into trouble OR get anyone else into trouble.

In the UK, I can go to the DVLA and search for plates to buy, don't think you can do that here

thankxs again

Re: swapping number plates question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:49 pm 

bobajob wrote:
Is it against forum rules or illegal to ask maybe someone in LEO can check for me offline if a personalized plate is in use;

You can order a personalized plate online. You just need your Ontario license on hand. Last time I used it, it'll tell you immediately whether the plate is available or not.

Regarding stickers, you either get a refund or credit for the remaining full months (e.g. less than 3 months and it's credit only unless you're leaving the province). They'll do this whether the plate/sticker was lost, bubbling, stolen, etc. You go into a ServiceOntario centre and they'll give you a replacement sticker. You just have to pay for the administration fee which should be something like $5-10. If you're switching to personalized plates, I believe they might even do it for free, but don't quote me on that.

Re: swapping number plates question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:39 am 

txs Bend,
actually after writing the post, I saw that on the on-line form it should show me if it's available

txs again,

bend wrote:
bobajob wrote:

You can order a personalized plate online. You just need your Ontario license on hand. Last time I used it, it'll tell you immediately whether the plate is available or not.

Regarding stickers, you either get a refund or credit for the remaining full months (e.g. less than 3 months and it's credit only unless you're leaving the province). They'll do this whether the plate/sticker was lost, bubbling, stolen, etc. You go into a ServiceOntario centre and they'll give you a replacement sticker. You just have to pay for the administration fee which should be something like $5-10. If you're switching to personalized plates, I believe they might even do it for free, but don't quote me on that.