Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.


Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!


The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

       
    

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.
  Print view

Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:53 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:54 pm
Posts: 8
Look I just can't accept such a major conviction when my intentions were soo good. Honestly like are you serious? This is so rediculous. I feel like that charge you slap on to a guy who's drunk and having a cop car chase while operating a stolen vehicle. Like slap it on to that guy, not the nice decent hard working University student just trying to be safe and smart about a sticker issue I couldn't afford. CMON!!!!! Where is the justice in this. This is wrong and I think at this point not policing, this is just taking advantage with bad intentions by power tripping.

It's so easy to see and see clear this is not fair.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 612
I call bullshit. You know three cops well enough to call them up. Then why post on an anonymous forum rather than call them in the first place? Even IF that were true there is ZERO chance all three would tell you to go to court to have it reopened. You pled guilty of your own free will - you can't blame the cop or even a paralegal because you chose not to use one.

You may be a nice guy although what driving 10 hours for a funeral has to do with any of this I have no idea. Except you're NOT that lily white. You knew you had to register your car and ignored that responsibility. You knew you had to pay your fines but you ignored that responsibility too. And now, having said you didn't remember your driver's ed, you say you did know what to do with an officer behind you. In this case he was conducting a traffic stop but he could have been heading to a rape in progress. Yes, you move over the 5 feet, slow down and stop and let him use his training.

Take some bloody responsibility for your actions. You ended up with 1 ticket out of 4 when there was complete evidence to convict you of all 4 but you still feel hard done by.

_________________
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:16 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:54 pm
Posts: 8
argyll wrote:
I call bullshit. You know three cops well enough to call them up. Then why post on an anonymous forum rather than call them in the first place? Even IF that were true there is ZERO chance all three would tell you to go to court to have it reopened. You pled guilty of your own free will - you can't blame the cop or even a paralegal because you chose not to use one.

You may be a nice guy although what driving 10 hours for a funeral has to do with any of this I have no idea. Except you're NOT that lily white. You knew you had to register your car and ignored that responsibility. You knew you had to pay your fines but you ignored that responsibility too. And now, having said you didn't remember your driver's ed, you say you did know what to do with an officer behind you. In this case he was conducting a traffic stop but he could have been heading to a rape in progress. Yes, you move over the 5 feet, slow down and stop and let him use his training.

Take some bloody responsibility for your actions. You ended up with 1 ticket out of 4 when there was complete evidence to convict you of all 4 but you still feel hard done by.


REPLY

No, I randomly called up 3 diferent Police stations and asked to speak to any available officer and they all said fight it. Because I accepted a new job which requires a car so I almost bought a car but thank god I called for insurance quotes because none will insure me which is messed up and wrong. Now I pretty much have to reverse my job that i accepted and tell them I can't take the job and now I will never get to work there again I bet.

No no the car was registed under my name and everything I just couldn't find the papers in my car, not something you have to look for everyday. I later found them in my room digging through files.

No, I 100% forgot to pay the fines as I told you I moved and got offered my former dream job and got asked to start right away in the middle of mid terms online exams and working two jobs and finding movers and finding places to rent, etc.Didn't get mail reminders as I didn't live in Guelph anymore. I'm from 10 hours up north.

It was totally situational, not every road is built the same yet making that "Failure to stop for emergecny vehicle" so subjective. I think I handled reasonably. I just think there should be more warnings before something like not being able to drive for 3 years for that happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:18 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:54 pm
Posts: 8
Look I'm not going to be the 26-29 year old guy who rides the bus with the rest of the people that age who either are drug addicts, homeless, drunks, or have mental problems.

I'm going to do whatever I can to be able to drive.

But I may be over worrying because I feel like some company will be able to insure me I just would have to pay way more.

But former police offer who keeps replying, be honest with yourself, you can't tell me in your right mind this is fair and I deserve to not drive for 3 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:42 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:54 pm
Posts: 8
Highway Traffic Act 159 (1) (a) Fail to Stop ON RIGHT for Emergency vehicle is only 3 demerit points

Guys, I think I've been confusing this with the 7 demerit point hit Section 216 of the Highway Traffic Act,Driver failing to stop when signalled or requested to stop by a police officer. So I think I've been telling insurance call centre people when I call in to get quotes that the charge was a major conviction of failure to stop for emergency vehicle which means I never stopped. 2 different things and the wording is all the difference too.


I feel I have more hope now! Can't wait to call in Monday morning!


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:44 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 612
You not being able to drive is not the fault of the officer or the system. If you want to blame someone then rant against the insurance company. There's nothing under law that says you can't drive, you just have to be able to afford insurance.

You still aren't taking any responsibility for your part in this. You chose to not have a valid sticker. Had you been legal then none of this would have happened.

You think you handled the traffic stop reasonably, I wholeheartedly disagree. Imagine if every car delayed a cruiser by 16 seconds. The fact you lied about it in this thread doesn't help your argument.

There is no way calls to random stations got you the advice you think you did. What they would have said (if you even called them) is basically 'leave us alone and call the court' but there is no provision for you to reopen a case simply because you changed your mind.

It is what it is. The outcome is not going to change so you just have to deal with it and move on. If you want to feel like a victim then fill your boots but I'll bet you'll carry your documents from now on, not tailgate and pull over for emergency vehicles. I'd say the system worked just fine.

_________________
Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 63
You committed a series of offences. You were charged and eventually plead guilty to one of them. Your driving record now reflects your cavalier attitude towards your responsibilities as a driver.

You can drive, you will just have to pay more for the privilege. As a consequence MAYBE you will be more careful.

You are not being persecuted. You are not a victim.

I hope you get this resolved with your insurance company - but realize your decisions (or lack thereof) lead to this. Your decision to not apply your valtag (as required), your decision to not carry a current certificate of insurance (as required), your decision not to immediately stop for an emergency vehicle (as required).

I think you got a great deal from the prosecutor personally.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 pm 
Offline
Moderator

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 am
Posts: 924
jsherk wrote:
Only guilty because he pleaded guilty. Otherwise innocent until proven guilty. So always plead not guilty and make them prove it.


They're not exactly going to have a tough time proving the driver had no valid sticker, and couldn't provide insurance or permit upon request.

jsherk wrote:
I think 8 seconds is not an unreasonable time to give somebody to pull over, and then pulling onto a side street to get out of busy traffic is also not an unreasonable thing to do. If all charges had gone to trial, this is most likely the one that they would not have been able to prove.


You're making a case out of nothing. This persons version of any event is always nonsensical and blame shifting.

When they didn't pull over for an officer, it wasn't their fault because:
  • How is anyone supposed to remember what to do when they took the test 8 years ago
  • No one else around was pulling over, despite the officer being directly behind them with their sirens on.

When they didn't surrender their paperwork upon request, it wasn't their fault because:
  • The officer was unwilling to drive home with them
  • The officer was unwilling to let them go in the meantime while they provided it later (the same person who asked the courts for 2 months to pay a ticket and blew them off)

When they slammed into the vehicle in front of them, it wasn't their fault because:
  • The person in front slammed their brakes.
  • It was the fault of "momentum"
  • Nobody got whiplash so it was OK.

When they requested from the court 2 months to pay their ticket, didn't pay, and was suspended, it wasn't their fault because:
  • They moved and ignored the mail.


Now this person doesn't want to take the bus because it's "for loosers [sic]" and their inability to "pickup a date" is literally "in human [sic] and unethical". Did you also know their situation is "not too far off from the holocaust". The officer was literally, Hitler. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:44 pm 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:20 am
Posts: 252
"Look I'm not going to be the 26-29 year old guy who rides the bus with the rest of the people that age who either are drug addicts, homeless, drunks, or have mental problems".

Wow...


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:26 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 379
rental car still needs to be insured........... ?


jsherk wrote:
Insurance companies rate tickets in one of three categories: Minor, Major & Serious.

I have not looked into it myself, but it sounds like you are saying the Failure To Stop is a Major. Basically you pleaded guilty to it, so there is nothing you can do now. As you can see, sometimes it is better to have several minor offences than even one major.

Anyways, there is nothing you can do about it until it goes away in October 2018.

As to viper1 suggestion of renting a car, I never thought of that before, but renting by the month might be cheaper than buying a car and trying to insure it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:35 am 
Offline
Sr. Member

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:21 am
Posts: 379
My wife has used the bus on occasion; in the UK I used to,

MY sis-in-law who doesnt drive, had to take my daughter on the bus for some appointments
my father-in-law used the buses constantly,

NONE of them are " drug addicts, homeless, drunks, or have mental problems."
and I can g'tee my SIL WONT take MY daughter any where ^^^ exists

my father was a conductor on the UK buses for near on 20 years

I used to ride the buses with my dad on holidays
and we all used to go out on family outings on said buses as well as sunday afternoon rides


to add to what the previous folks have said,

your def. a looser (in your own words) and probably a troll

WE ALL have to follow the rules, obey the law, if you don't then that's your lookout
now go lick a window somewhere preferably while your taking public transport

enjoy !

I'll be driving past your bus with the top down !

TylerCollins wrote:
Look I'm not going to be the 26-29 year old guy who rides the bus with the rest of the people that age who either are drug addicts, homeless, drunks, or have mental problems.

I'm going to do whatever I can to be able to drive.

But I may be over worrying because I feel like some company will be able to insure me I just would have to pay way more.

But former police offer who keeps replying, be honest with yourself, you can't tell me in your right mind this is fair and I deserve to not drive for 3 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
Re: Failure to Stop for Emergency Vehicle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:19 pm 
Offline
Jr. Member

Joined: Sat May 23, 2015 12:54 am
Posts: 31
TylerCollins wrote:
Highway Traffic Act 159 (1) (a) Fail to Stop ON RIGHT for Emergency vehicle is only 3 demerit points

Guys, I think I've been confusing this with the 7 demerit point hit Section 216 of the Highway Traffic Act,Driver failing to stop when signalled or requested to stop by a police officer. So I think I've been telling insurance call centre people when I call in to get quotes that the charge was a major conviction of failure to stop for emergency vehicle which means I never stopped. 2 different things and the wording is all the difference too.


I feel I have more hope now! Can't wait to call in Monday morning!


In Ontario Insurance Companies are weird, it doesn't matter how much demerit point you lost, they'll considering your conviction, one of my Friend got charged with DUI 23 years ago, they still sees it and mentioned about it in court, 3 years ago he got DUI charges again lol, ive read all posts, man it was all your Fault, no matter what you should stop for Emergency Vehicle, you don't follow others, and you should always have Insurance+Driver license on you when you drive a car.

Here what Insurance hates about drivers in Ontario
1, Drink and Drive
2, Fail to stop for Emergency Vehicle (you're in this)
3, Hit and Run (Fail to stop at the scene)
4, Street Racing
5, Get over 4 Speed ticket in 1 year lol (they cancel your premium right away, my friend got this lol)

Sorry to hear about your sad story but seriously obey the laws and you know there are parents son uncle Aunt Grandma papa sister brother on the roads, you don't want anyone to lose one of them and their loved ones, whenever i hold the steering wheel i think of LIVES and family. I do exactly speed limit yes i always get TAILGATE by idiots.

And you know what ? i *EDIT* HATE law breaker ! Speeding, improper lane change, no turn signal uses, tailgate and especially ROADRAGE. Living in a modern Country like America USA and Canada and you guys are like that, My country Vietnam, we don't ROADRAGE or being an idiot. But the funny this is, they pulls over and stop for Siren Emergency vehicle and then they drive behind the Emergency vehicle lol


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Related topics
 Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Emergency Vehicle and Intersection Rules??

Seanec

4

789

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:53 pm

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. How to react for emergency vehicle coming from behind

Fin00965

1

370

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:56 pm

ynotp View the latest post

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. charged with DRIVING w/ NO LICENSE / FAILURE TO STOP RED LIG

lkp1v07

4

1061

Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:53 am

Simon Borys View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Emergency vehicles

[ Go to pageGo to page: 1, 2 ]

viper1

15

2604

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:01 am

Radar Identified View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Disobey stop sign- fail to stop

Roms01

5

279

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:10 am

bobajob View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. clocked from within the vehicle?

derekma87

2

411

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:46 am

Stanton View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Use of plate not authorized for vehicle

barrienewbie2

3

2112

Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm

hwybear View the latest post

 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: