jaysonk1

Help Quick, Fined Careless Driving, Hit Pedestrian

by: jaysonk1 on

i need help, basically i hit a pedestrian, didn't see htem, they were jogging in the middle of the street, i was at a stop sign, complete stop, i looked both ways and went and accidently hit the person jogging, they literally ran into my car, it's my fault though, i know that

it wasn't in my car

basically, my brother has two cars insured, a really nice one, and the one i was driving, i was driving the not so nice car, i hit somebody, and had to give his insurance, i'm actually insured under my mothers car, she has a perfect record and so DID i,

my question is, will my brothers insurance get screwed by this, or will it be whatever car i'm actually insured under that takes the hit? he gave me permission to drive his car, but im really insured under my moms car/license

next question is

the cop gave me 3 options, and he said, if he could give me advice, he would never take option 1, which is plead guilty, he said in 99 percent of cases you can get a lesser charge, and that's all he said, other than saying make up any excuse, like you saw a squirrel even etc.

the pedestrian was not hurt badly at all, i was going like 3 , not fast at all, i barely hit her, she had a couple scratches maybe and didn't want to go to the hospital, but they made her

i know its my fault, i just want to know my best option, i don't really want to screw my brother over, does it effect his insurance or mine? or even both? im insured under my moms car etc.

sorry if this doesn't make sense, trying to write it on mobile

i also read that insurance companies might drop you if you have careless, which means, my brother would take the hit for that even though it was me that got into the accident? since i used his insurance

jsherk
High Authority
High Authority

by: jsherk on

If the pedestrian sues and/or there are damages that need to payed and/or the car needs to be fixed, this will be your brothers car insurance that will be affected. This could lead to a small increase in his rates.

If you get charged with careless, this will only affect any insurance policies that you are listed on. So it sounds like this would affect your mothers policy but not your brothers. Careless could cause a HUGE increase in her policy.

Is this ticket a SUMMONS or a NOTICE OF OFFENCE?

I would suggest you plead NOT GUILTY and request a TRIAL with the officer present. Once you get your trial date, then you can request disclosure (officers notes) and then decide what route to take on fighting it or not.

+++ This is not legal advice, only my opinion +++
bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

When you lend your car, you lend your insurance. If there's a claim made by the other individual, your brother is on the hook. They will ding him with a chargeable accident as if he was behind the wheel.

The actual ticket and charge are a different story. That will follow you. That will have nothing to do with your brother.

I'm assuming you don't all live at the same address.

Post a Reply