Mboudreau

Posting Awards

4 Demerit Pts Suspension - Insurance Driver's Abstract

by: Mboudreau on

Hi there. 13 months ago, I got my first and only speeding ticket. I was a g2 driver and due to escalated sanctions, they suspended my license for 30 days.

Luckily, I didn't need my car as I was moving downtown from the countryside in a couple months. I have a couple questions.

1. How long will this appear on my drivers abstract should I want to get a car insurance again. I am getting a lot of mixed answers to this (2/3/5 years). I am looking at buying a house in the suburbs in maybe 1 year (2 max), and would probably like to get a car at that point. I can bus it as long as I need to but it would be nice to know when insurance will be affordable again.

2. If I were to try to get covered while the suspension was still on my abstract, approx what would my insurance be per month (ballpark figure)

3. If I were to upgrade to my G license, would that make any difference? Additionally, If i moved out of Ontario, would the suspension still hold weight or appear on the abstract?

4. If I were to move home with my father and be put as an occasional driver on his vehicle, would that make his insurance sky rocket?

Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

bend

Posting Awards

by: bend on

Mboudreau wrote:1. How long will this appear on my drivers abstract should I want to get a car insurance again. I am getting a lot of mixed answers to this (2/3/5 years). I am looking at buying a house in the suburbs in maybe 1 year (2 max), and would probably like to get a car at that point. I can bus it as long as I need to but it would be nice to know when insurance will be affordable again.

It'll always be on your record. There are different types of records you can request based on length (3, 5, 10 year, or complete). Insurance companies will use a 3 year record (36 months) when issuing you a surcharge for a conviction.

Mboudreau wrote:2. If I were to try to get covered while the suspension was still on my abstract, approx what would my insurance be per month (ballpark figure)

Call an insurance provider and they'll give you a quote.

Mboudreau wrote:3. If I were to upgrade to my G license, would that make any difference?

Sure, you may receive some savings based on experience. The surcharge on the speeding ticket would remain the same though.

Mboudreau wrote:Additionally, If i moved out of Ontario, would the suspension still hold weight or appear on the abstract?

You wont be able to hold 2 licenses. After living in a province for a certain period of time (e.g. 90 days) you'd have to apply for a license in that province and surrender your Ontario license. Same goes for insurance. I believe all provinces will allow you to transfer a VALID FULL graduated license (There may also be a minimum amount of experience required e.g. 2 years) as long as you take an eye test or whatever the requirement is. If you don't have the required amount of graduated license experience, they may put you somewhere up the ladder in their graduated license system or make you start from the beginning. You'll have to look into the province you wish to move to. You can't transfer a suspended license.

The same system that allows you to easily transfer a license is used to easily transfer convictions. It's called a reciprocal agreement. There will be a list of offenses that will transfer between provinces, whether you're there on vacation or you're looking to move. Speeding is one of those offenses that will transfer because everyone issues speeding charges. So if you are convicted of speeding in another province, it'll follow you back to Ontario. Same goes for when you transfer your Ontario license for another province.

Mboudreau wrote:4. If I were to move home with my father and be put as an occasional driver on his vehicle, would that make his insurance sky rocket?

Yes, his rates would likely increase. Once you move back home, you'd have to become an occasional driver. Unless you fill out an exclusion form, he'll have to disclose another licensed driver living under his roof. I don't know if i'd use the words "sky rocket". Call his provider and they'll give you an idea.

Stanton
High Authority
High Authority

Posting Awards

by: Stanton on

Mboudreau wrote:Did that count as an administrative suspension by the way? I'm wondering if I tried to get a car now and get it insured - if they would take me.

No, yours would not be considered an administrative suspension. It's only considered administrative when it's not the result of a conviction.

OTD Legal

Posting Awards

by: OTD Legal on

Mboudreau wrote:Hi there. 13 months ago, I got my first and only speeding ticket. I was a g2 driver and due to escalated sanctions, they suspended my license for 30 days.

Luckily, I didn't need my car as I was moving downtown from the countryside in a couple months. I have a couple questions.

Most of your questions have already been answered. On a go-forward basis for other forum readers, it is important to be aware of the limitations of a Novice Driver (class 1 or class 2) licence within the context of escalated sanctions. Escalated sanctions are additional penalties applied to Novice Drivers above and beyond the standard penalties that would be issued to a full licence holder:

Source: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... 10.2.shtml

"Escalating sanctions for novice drivers would apply if any of the following occurrences have taken place within a five-year period:

-Any combination of repeat violations of G1/G2/M1/M2 restrictions

-Convictions for individual HTA offences carrying four or more demerit points

-Court-ordered licence suspensions for HTA convictions that would have otherwise resulted in four or more demerit points.

Escalating sanctions for hybrid drivers would apply if there is any combination of repeat violations of their novice licence (G1/G2/M1/M2) conditions within a five-year period.

The penalties under escalating sanctions for novice and hybrid drivers are:

-30-day licence suspension for the first occurrence

-90-day licence suspension for the second occurrence

-Licence cancellation and a requirement to re-apply for a G1/M1 after the third occurrence. Any fees paid, credit received for time spent in the program or BDE credit would be forfeited when the licence is cancelled. Please note that in the case of a hybrid driver, only the novice-class licence is cancelled on the third occasion; their full-class licence is maintained.

A reinstatement fee is also imposed on first- and second-occurrence drivers.

Note: Escalating sanctions do not apply in situations where a driver is convicted of an offence resulting in four or more demerit points (or receives a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in four or more demerit points) and has one of the following hybrid licence combinations:

(a) A G1 or G2 with a Class M licence

(b) An M1 or M2 with a Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G licence

Forfeited Fees:

If you prepaid any examination fees and are convicted for a third occurrence under escalating sanctions all your pre-paid fees will be lost. You will be required to pay all fees once you re-enter into the GLS program.

Note: If you are a novice driver and are convicted of violating any novice condition, an offence that is associated with 4 or more demerit points or receive a court-ordered suspension for an offence that would have resulted in 4 or more demerit points, you will receive the appropriate penalty and novice driver escalating sanction licence suspension. However, the demerit points will be recorded as zero on your record, and will not be counted towards the accumulated demerit point system."

The content of this post is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be provided after a licenced paralegal has been retained, spoken with you directly, and reviewed the documents related to your case.
Post a Reply