A place to discuss any general Highway Traffic Act related items.

Moderators: Radar Identified, Reflections, admin, hwybear, Decatur, bend

k250

Ticket Invalid?

by: k250 on

Hi,

I recently about a month ago picked up a speeding ticket for going 20km/h over the limit (100 in an 80 zone).

I was given an "Offence Notice" and a "Payment Notice". The payment notice said I could just pay the ticket online at paytickets.ca.

The payment notice also says to mail the payment notice with the payment enclosed and send it to the courthouse.

I sort of assumed that if I went online and just paid the ticket there, I wouldn't have to mail anything in or anything. So I paid it through the website.

I just got an e-mail back a couple of weeks later saying my payment had been refunded, with the reasoning being "ticket invalid".

Was I supposed to mail the notice and then pay online or something?

Or is my ticket just cancelled or something? I purchased a copy of my 3 year drivers license today and it has no offences or demerit points listed on it.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks.

daggx

Posting Awards

by: daggx on

I would call the court house and ask them what is happening. It is possible that the officer never turned in their copy of the ticket, in which case you are off the hook. It is also possible that the court simply forgot to upload the ticket to the payment website, in which case the ticket may still be outstanding. If it is the latter you need to deal with it ASAP as it won't be long before the issuing jurisdiction gets around to doing the paper work to get a default judgment against you.

argyll
VIP
VIP

Posting Awards

by: argyll on

It's worth checking but it's likely that the officer made a mistake on the ticket and the JP quashed it. But the correspondence should be clearer for you and it may be you just entered the wrong ticket number. Definitely follow this up asap but my bet is you got a freebie.

Former Ontario Police Officer. Advice will become less relevant as the time goes by !
Post a Reply