Ontario Highway Traffic Act

Discuss the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Post Your Traffic Ticket, and Get Help!

The Ontario Traffic Ticket Forum!

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Check It Out
No unread posts New Set Fines Starting Sept 1st, 2015! Read and Learn Here.

Failing to stop for school bus - AS OWNER
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:38 pm 

Hello,

Today a Police Officer showed up at my home and issued me a ticket under the Highway Traffic Act Section 175 (20). Failing to Stop for a School Bus - as OWNER. NOT DRIVER. There is a $490.00 fine but no demerit points.

I am trying to find out what this is going to do to my insurance rates?!?!?! I was told that because they can't identify the driver I am being charged as the owner of the vehicle and this is a lesser offence.

Does anybody know how this will affect the my insurance rates? I am getting SO much conflicting information!!!

TOTALLY freaking out!!!!!!

Re: Failing to stop for school bus - AS OWNER
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:51 pm 
High Authority

No demerit points when charged as owner, and I am pretty sure that it does not affect your insurance at all either, but you can call your insurance company and ask them to confirm.

Regardless, you should plead NOT GUILTY and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your Notice of Trial, you can request disclosure (officers notes and witness statements).

If you go to trial for this both the officer that charged you has to show up AND at least one witness (bus driver?) that saw you drive by the bus.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:37 am 

As for the insurance, you are better off checking couple of online quotes yourself, do not contact your insurance company. once they hear about this no matter whether you are found guilty or not, they will jack up your rate, you just told them...

As for disclosure, you won't get much, most likely you will get a statement telling you some one (probably the bus driver) reported your car failing to stop.

If some one took the time to report you, given that it is not easy getting police to take such reports, you can rest assured that person WILL show up at your trail to testify.

Years ago drivers such as school bus drivers were classified as "professional driver" and they were given special consideration when it comes to reporting stuff such as this.

Which municipality were you charged in?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:22 am 

The ticket has no impact on your insurance. It doesn't go on your abstract, so consider it an expensive parking ticket.

You don't have to call your insurance company and you don't need to do any online quotes. Ignore all that.

Once you plead guilty, you're convicted, whatever... you'll never see this ticket again anywhere (unless you don't pay the fine). If you don't pay the fine, you cant renew those plates until you do.